Trading with borrowed funds

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BMK, Apr 2, 2022.

1. borrowing != managing OPM though, and shouldn't be thought of as such. It is just increasing leverage on your own trading beyond what your broker will give you. If increased leverage is appropriate then it should not be a source of aggravation regardless of the source of that leverage.

#21     Apr 3, 2022
    MoreLeverage and qlai like this.
  2. TheDawn

TheDawn

How about your buddies from elitetrader.com here? We are not thieving lying dickheads but we are not successful on our own either. Can we benefit from your success? :p

#22     Apr 3, 2022
  3. KGTrader4

KGTrader4

A+ lol

#23     Apr 3, 2022
  4. bln

bln

Here in the Nordic countries one may borrow zero collateral unsecured personal loan of up $53,000 on a 10-12 years duration for ~4.5% annual interest rate. One may pay back the loan in advance without any penalty fees. If your salary allows it one may get multiple loans.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    #24     Apr 6, 2022
    cruisecontrol likes this.
  5. DblArrow

DblArrow

If you got to that point, why not spread the wealth?

#25     Apr 12, 2022
  6. qlai

qlai

Spread wealth how, by managing others money?

#26     Apr 12, 2022
  7. DblArrow

DblArrow

To a small extent yes, something like the friends and family account at IB or a small commodity pool.

#27     Apr 12, 2022
  8. qlai

qlai

As many people expressed here, it's just asking for headaches and broken/soured relationships. It's a life style choice. Friends and family are usually not sophisticated enough to know the difference between absolute and risk-adjusted returns. They may say something like - I quadrupled my money on bitcoin while you are barely keeping up with indices, etc. They also may need the money back ASAP for personal reasons, like buying a car or going on vacation, or watching Cramer. Sophisticated investors, on the other hand would not normally give their money to a one-trick pony, imho(unless as a personal favor).
    The only reason, imho, to manage other people money is if your strategy produces consistent "modest" returns but is very scalable. This way, you benefit because it takes you the same effort running 1MM as 100MM+. But if your strategy is not very scalable, I think you better off just growing your money on your own with help of broker's leverage (or , as the topic on this thread - other sources of low cost borrowing).

I have not.

#28     Apr 12, 2022
    cruisecontrol likes this.
  9. I neither was nor am in the favour of taking loan for trading. Trading with a loan can cause stress anxiety not only while trading but also after trading if the trades are lost. It is better to trade with margin than trading with a loan.

#29     Apr 19, 2022
  10. DblArrow

DblArrow

Trading on margin, IS trading with a loan. You borrow and pay an interest rate to do so. What then is the difference?

#30     Apr 19, 2022