TWS/IB Gateway randomly losing connection

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Phoenix_colossal, Nov 28, 2021.

1. I have this problem for a long time. TWS/IB gateway randomly loses connection to servers, and just shows re-connecting. Sometimes it succeeds after a few times, but most of the time it fails. I have to shutdown TWS/gateway and wait for a while. I am on Ubuntu 20.04LTS, TWS 981.3d. At first I thought it is my internet connection, but access to other websites are totally normal. IB website status is normal as well. My gcloud instance in US-central-1 has the same connection issue.

Anyone else encountered something similar? Thanks.

2. thecoder

thecoder

Maybe you are on a list of IB... :)

3. ZBZB

ZBZB

Try it on windows.

4. KevinBB

KevinBB

Hello @Phoenix_colossal
    Yes, I've had something very similar, which was resolved just recently.
    Which server do you connect to? US or Hong Kong, or a different one?
    KH

5. I connect to US server.

6. KevinBB

KevinBB

ok @Phoenix_colossal - have a look at this ET link for how I described my problem.

In summary, I connect to the Hong Kong server, for both Live and Paper accounts. When the Hong Kong server restarts, twice every day, Gateway would disconnect, and then try to reconnect. Eventually, after somewhere between 10 and 20 attempts at reconnection, Gateway would just shut down.

It was only Gateway with the problem. My internet was operating normally all through this time, and TWS was operating normally, too. It was just Gateway, trying to connect, failing, then shutting down. On different days I switched the role of Gateway and TWS, one operating live, one operating paper. It was always Gateway that had the problem.

I explained the problem to IB support, and they immediately blamed my ISP, Telstra, and suggested getting an alternate internet connection. IB support said that they had similar cases with my ISP. So, I phoned the ISP and, of course, they blamed IB. Naturally.

The problem lasted for about one week. At that time I started sending logs and screen shots to IB Support. I also disconnected my internet completely for a few hours over the weekend. Now, I don't know if it was restarting the internet, or IB support did something to change my connection, but the problem was fixed soon after this.

After seeing your problem, I am inclined to think that IB has reset something to do with my account and the Gateway connection. However, first thing I would try is to disconnect internet for an hour or so, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then start sending everything you have to IB support, logs and screen shots.

Hope this description helps.
    KH

thecoder likes this.
  7. traider

traider

if you have windows you can try testing it out on windows