US guitar makers hit hard by new international logging regulations on prized rosewood

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by Error Correction Funder, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Good, but they need to really stop the African exports to China.There is hardly a donkey left in Africa either thanks to those feckers (used for traditional medicine).

The manufacturers if pushed can develop an as-good replacement. I own three rosewood backed guitars but they are not my best sounding. Violin makers figured out the Stradivarius so get off their lazy asses. :)

2. speedo

speedo

Tough to hear of this. Brazilian rosewood has been off the table for years and now Asian. Rosewood gives an acoustic guitar a slightly brighter tone to my ear than mahogany but both are excellent tone woods. There are other tone woods but to me, rosewood and mahogany are the best.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  3. I just got an Yamaha silent SLG200NW (52 neck) https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...basses/silent_guitar/slg200_series/index.html

It is sweet, get the amp and speakers right and even better. Horses for courses but I like to see instruments evolve.

The fact that you can pass though an ipod to headphones is excellent.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    speedo likes this.
  4. speedo

speedo

Yep, amazing stuff being done electronically but my heart still bleeds for the Adirondack spruce top with solid rosewood or mahogany sides and back dreadnought acoustic. That's a nice looking ax you have there tho. I've had many Martin's, Gibson's and several Taylor's but the sweetest I've owned was the Santa Cruz Tony Rice model. The Taylor 710 was a nice balanced guitar. Collings makes a great guitar also.

5. My most beautiful guitar (still has a rosewood smell) is a ~61 Hofner half body Jazz model. But having worked in Africa in anti-poaching I see the criminality brought by 'easy money'. It will just be all gone, what difference does another five years make, just assume it is gone now and remove the demand I say.

I will start making a test resonance body from a titanium metal foam we use in our lab just for fun. Innovation is it's own reward :)

Better have lunch first.

vanzandt and speedo like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

Sounds like a fun project...keep us updated.

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

Just how much logging for guitars is happening to have any kind of significant effect on the environment? Isn't logging for agriculture a much bigger problem?

8. Rosewood trees. Not any kind of tree. You may not have had your coffee yet :)

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

#10     Apr 13, 2018
    Cuddles likes this.