Very disappointed with Sterling Trader Pro's delays, looking for alternatives

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by kmgilroy89, Nov 9, 2018.

1. So...I've been using Sterling Trader Pro for 2 years at my prop firm. For some reason the software cannot handle large amounts of volume. It causes delayed quotes on the Level 2. I've had delays for 30 seconds at times at the end of the day. As somebody who does a lot of scalping this is unacceptable. It seems to be getting worse. I'm on the hunt for alternatives to present to my firm.

Alpha Trader and ElectricSavant like this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Try changing to classic mode. Some users that use a lot of resources with lots of charts end up with the software slowing down. Classic mode looks like an older version but uses less resources.

Happy to talk about customer accounts if you leave prop.

3. Sterling’s support are useless. I had given multiple examples and send them my log numerous times and yet all I hear is change to classic mode. This is the first thing I did years ago and yet there is no improvement. As soon as an alternative comes to market I will ditch them. They should be paying us for using their broken platform.

2ripchic4 likes this.
  4. FSU

FSU

5. qlai

qlai

Unless you run two platforms side by side, it's hard to know for sure who's at fault. I suggest you run two side by side and record on video. Make sure it's apples to apples. Just open level2 window and no charts. Then add a single intra-day chart to each. The more GUI windows you have opened, the worse the performance. I use ToS for charting, but now have to run IB's 1min chart and level2 as it seems to not freeze up(speed looks same by eye). Sucks.

I've been thinking of building my own *basic* intra-day chart (plus l2 and TnS) powered by direct feed tick-by-tick data, but level2 costs would be too much. If your prop pays for direct leve2 data already(doubtful), that could be an option.

6. @kmgilroy89: supposing for an instant is not Sterling Trader Pro, I would check:

- Network Interface Card: settings on
    - force Gigabit Master
    - force Full Duplex 1 Gbps or 1000/1000
    - disable TCP Checksum Offload IPv4
    - disable Green Internet
    - disable TCP/IP 6 if you don't need it
    - disable UDP Checksum Offload IPv4

Windows:
    - disable Windows Updates during the trading session
    - Power save settings High Performance

Trading Technologies provides a sort of checklist for Client Side Optimization.
    https://www.tradingtechnologies.com...ons/hardware-and-operating-system-windows-10/

Therefore ask your Sterling/ Pro IT guys a similar document for 'best practices'.

Finally check with Windows Task Manager the Performance section and % of CPU cores used during those delays: you could have background processes trashing your PC performance.

7. I have a high performance computer and my Esignal works fine so I don't see the problem being anything except Sterling's inability to handle large volume. It's a problem the whole firm is experiencing, not just me. I'm going to scale back how many windows I have open with Sterling for now, but for $400/month I expect better.

8. qlai

qlai

I hear you. What bothers me is that there's no incentive for the retail broker to be better. No skin in the game. The slower/dumber the flow, the better.

9. Thinking of switching to Sterling Pro. My prop firm only offers Sterling, LS, and Fusion. Are you still having issues with Sterling?

10. I have been using Sterling Trader Pro with my broker, which is 11.7 and having issues with logging in, being disconnected randomly, and receiving data refresh messages, then kicking me out.

The Trader ID and password I am using are correct and I even had my broker reset my password, but I was still having issues logging in with 11.7, so I went to Sterling's site, downloaded the most recent version, 11.9. And I disabled my ant-virus. I have Fios Gigabit, 940/880 Mbps.

I previously downloaded a test version of DAS Trader Pro, and when I logged in I set up my test account under default, setting it to primary, though, many times, it would shift my Sterling default-test account to my DAS Trader Pro default-test account in my Level II Montage. Very odd.

I uninstalled DAS Trader Pro and Sterling Trader Pro, power-cycled my laptop, logged back into Sterling, with the same password and it worked, and it automatically loaded the previous layout I had saved and loaded.

I checked under destinations, and I saw the DAS Trader Pro account. Really! I tried to switch it but to no avail. Then I logged off, rebooted, tried logging back in, with the same creds and I couldn't get in, receiving an "Unable to connect/and or redirect from SCSD. Please verify that the Trader ID is correct. Contact your manager if necessary." I have the right Trader ID and password, as I was able to log in yesterday.

I had my broker reset my password earlier in the day. Now I have to wait to Monday to have it fixed, which is annoying.

I had called Sterling customer support a few days ago with platform-specific questions and the guy I was speaking to was so rude. He was talking but not listening to what I was saying.

The guy said he could only help me this one time and that I would need to call my broker, as that is part of the contract, and he said we're really busy.

I asked him if you're not helping customers then what are you busy with? And he said internal things that I can't discuss. He was like you can watch YouTube videos, and I said I have. Honestly, they're pretty bare-bone, by the way, and I've even been reading the lackluster manual.

I said well maybe I should reconsider paying $1,200 for the software for the year, and he said we're billing your broker. Really?

I also tried email Sterling support and they are so slow, it has taken over a week to get any responses, and the ones that have been answered are very sparse.

I haven't gone live yet, but I am concerned. I don't want to be in a trade when my platform disconnects me and I can't log in. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions to fix my issues.

Thanks.

#10     Sep 14, 2019