What about age accommodation in the workplace?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kandlekid, Feb 18, 2020.

1. kandlekid

kandlekid

This past evening I was reprimanded by my employer for "leaning on the wall" for several minutes. Well, I'm 63, and being on my feet for hours at a time is somewhat strenuous (but the effects may not rise to the level of a disability). I was told that I would need a "letter of accommodation" from a doctor, subsequently approved by the HR dept, to continue the practice. Given that older workers seem to be becoming a larger part of the workforce, should not employers attempt to accommodate them?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Too bad you aren’t a black gay Muslim transgender. Could have hit the Superfecta of discrimination lawsuits.

Sorry, But since you’re just an aging white guy you’re screwed

traderob likes this.
  3. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

Got time to lean, you got time to clean

4. kandlekid

kandlekid

Yea, kinda. Hey, how did you surmise that I am white? (I am).

5. A white guy will get reprimanded for leaning on a wall.
    Any of the “protected class” wouldn’t because it would be deemed racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-whatever and managers don’t want that so they would look the other way for minor infractions.
    Just the way it is

6. Somewhat overstated, but remember when the pendulum swung the other way?

7. upload_2020-2-19_12-53-30.png

8. No I don't

But yes, it did back in the day.
    Wasn't right then and isn't right now.

9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

An formal accommodation request is a distinction in HR circles backed up by employer/employee disability law.

This has nothing to do with race or religion or anything else Clubber Lang would like to make it out to be.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. tsznecki

tsznecki

Wait what? This is the fastest contradiction by anyone on ET ever.

Come on, just say what you want to say. You don't get points for pushing a narrative on an anonymous internet forum.

#10     Feb 20, 2020