What are good brokers that offer a trading API I can program against?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Joel Self, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Joel Self

Joel Self

Hi I have an automated strategy I want to implement, but I can't find a broker that does automated trading through an API.

So what are some good brokers with APIs I can program against (and hopefully test against before going live)?

Edit: I should note that I want to be programming in a real language, not some half-baked scripting language the vendor came up with. C/C++, C#, or Java preferably. But I'm not opposed to scripting languages.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Interactive Brokers. All others offer, as you say, half-baked languages. Check the Yahoo TWS API group for help.

3. read the fxxxx forum. This topic has been discussed a lot...

You cannot find? Then I recommend you stay far away from this industry. Start with Interactive Brokers....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  4. all others? I could name 20 brokers and firms without even checking that all provide API or FIX access via OOP languages.

Occam and bellman like this.
  5. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

You did not specify what asset class you trade. For equities and options, we offer Sterling TRader and Silexx OEMS which both offer an API. For futures/options, there are many choices to choose from. Email me a description of your business and your contact information and I'll follow up with you.

Bob

6. Andrew Renalds

Andrew Renalds Sponsor

Trading Technologies offers several APIs. Information can be found here. Feel free to reach out to me if you have further questions.

Regards,
    Andrew Renalds
    Product Manager, Automated Trading Tools and APIs
    Trading Technologies

7. Joel Self

Joel Self

Thanks for all your replies. I'll check out your suggestions when I get home tonight.

8. I would actually recommend a "half baked language" or really the brokers own coding language because it has the framework for how it should be used on a chart. In other words you don't want to be reinventing the wheel here.

In that case I would recommend TradeStation (Broker), NinjaTrader(C# API), Multicharts (API).

9. ibrainch

ibrainch ET Sponsor

10. pstrusi

pstrusi

Volpunter, in your opinion: is it really worth to develop in IB-Fix vs IB-Api ? I'm aware that Fix protocol is really hard for a non professional programmers, perhaps outsourced is the solution, but I want to know if it really outperforms Api , what do you think ?

Is there really a practical superior performance trading from your own Algo whitin API Vs Commercial trading platform which actually connects to your api in your local pc ?

Thanks

#10     Feb 27, 2017