What do you guy's do to prevent tilting?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by FTDK, Jan 23, 2023.

1. FTDK

FTDK

I was wondering what you guy's all are doing to preventing yourself from tilting, or from trowing the trading plan and risk management rules overboard during a tilt?

I myself find it very difficult to stick to my plan once I have a few bad trades, I am very vulnerable to tilting and revenge trading even though I know i have a solid system with statistics to back it.

Once I have a few bad trades in the beginning of the day I start doubting, deviate from the system and when that goes wrong it only get worse resulting in (very) bad losses.

What I am currently trying to do is entering a trade based on the signals my trading system gives me, set the stops and targets accordingly and leave it at that, don't touch it again unless my system gives me a reverse signal.

I am thinking about getting a darts board to hang near my desk, so I can get up from my desk and focus on other things while in that trade instead of focussing on everything that could go wrong.

I bet there are a lot of you out there who (have) struggle(d) with the same issue and I am hoping you are willing to share some of the things that work for you.

qwerty11 and murray t turtle like this.
  2. "Tilt"? Sounds like you're a poker player. Got news for you... virtually zero correlation between market trading and poker. (Lots of noobs believe there is strong correllation... they are wrong.)

murray t turtle and zdreg like this.
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

That's not necessarily true.

4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Once you detach and I mean really detach from Money... you will never ever tilt.

5. FTDK

FTDK

It might be a poker term, but you know what i am talking about.

I also don't see how your comment is relevant, since i am not talking about poker at all.

6. FTDK

FTDK

True, but that's easier said than done :D.

7. FTDK

FTDK

There might be little to no correlation between the game and trading, but when it comes to the psychology and in this example tilting, the correlation is very strong ;).

Tilting basically means: "a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a suboptimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming overly aggressive"

Now replace the word player with trader and a lot of traders will be familiar with this feeling.

8. In trading sometimes the question is asked, "How do I make myself do the right thing?" No answer for that other than "discipline".

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. spy

spy

How does it feel behind that [trading] desk?

murray t turtle likes this.
  10. VEGASDESERT

VEGASDESERT

i think tilt is a function of just being not a good poker player or trader yet.
    your approach, system, whatever.. is lacking or incomplete.

its a symptom not the root cause of your problems. imo

#10     Jan 23, 2023