What does Brexit mean for the stock market?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Jamie J., Jun 24, 2016.

1. Jamie J.

Jamie J.

Great Britain voted for Brexit. This step is extremely serious and for a lot of people it's so hard to predict its consequences. What will happen next? How will this step affect the stock market in the nearest time? Your guesses...

2. 2rosy

2rosy

buy the dip

userque and 1245 like this.
  3. clacy

clacy

Did we really need another Brexit thread for this question?

4. I agree -- I somewhat feel the Brexit stuff is overrated, :confused:;)
    ...you shouldn't necessarily get that excited for it...just treat each trading day, as: business as usual regardless it it's a good day, or bad day...or exciting day, or slow day.

Start each day with a clean, neutral slate -- Have no grudges or assumptions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. gkishot

gkishot

Great Britain? I thought it was UK.

6. Jones75

Jones75

The CDN VIXC is up 2.77 to 17.90 and retreating. This tells me next week, back to a grind of no growth.

7. Nobody knows what it means, in the medium to long term. It primarily depends on what happens with Europe now.

8. Handle123

Handle123

This was just a reason for Big brokerage and funds to take profit at end of Thursday, hedge their positions and buy Puts. And this morning great time to buy stocks and liquidate options and do Put credit spreads. If it gets too low, put on hedges for long stocks and exit Put credit spreads. Life is just matter of readjusting.

Am sure Europe will have to readjust as well. I always thought having one currency was a shame, good countries get watered down and not so good countries benefit.

ironchef and cdcaveman like this.
  9. Cswim63

Cswim63

I would say watch the European banks, which are already on the ropes. Spain, Italy, Portugal. When there is a perception of uncertainty, businessmen tend to tighten up. So I would not be surprised to see a credit contraction, which is the last thing Europe needs. I hope I'm wrong, because it will spill over to the US. I haven't commented until now, because it's silly to speculate. But you can see from the other comments that traders are already bored with this issue. But growth worldwide is very weak. So we have to see if it exacerbates. The markets can have a huge impact on psychology and therefore spending

Iwilldoit likes this.
  10. there must be some Opportunities here/now
    [some homework will be needed of course]

i'm not talking about daytrading per se, but swing trading, or longer...

marc
    :cool:

#10     Jun 24, 2016