What is it good for?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by easymon1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. easymon1

easymon1

What is it good for?

Quotes : Major General Butler, USMC
    "War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses."
    From a speech (1933)

war is a racket.jpg

I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.
    From a speech (1933)

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.
    From a speech (1933)

War is a racket. It always has been.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    From a speech (1933)

"My interest is, my one hobby is, maintaining a democracy. If you get these 500,000 soldiers advocating anything smelling of Fascism, I am going to get 500,000 more and lick the hell out of you, and we will have a real war right at home."
    Reply to Gerald MacGuire, after being asked to organize WWI veterans (for military support) in a fascist-coup of FDR, as related by Butler in testimony before Congress, 1934. A reporter (a Butler confidant) testified MacGuire said, "We might go along

War Is a Racket is a speech and a 1935 short book, by Smedley D. Butler, a retired United States Marine Corps Major General and two-time Medal of Honor recipient. Based on his career military experience, Butler discusses how business interests commercially benefit, such as war profiteering from warfare. He had been appointed commanding officer of the Gendarmerie during the United States occupation of Haiti, which lasted from 1915 to 1934.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Is_a_Racket
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

War Is a Racket is a speech and a 1935 short book, by Smedley D. Butler, a retired United States Marine Corps Major General and two-time Medal of Honor recipient. Based on his career military experience, Butler discusses how business interests commercially benefit, such as war profiteering from warfare. He had been appointed commanding officer of the Gendarmerie during the United States occupation of Haiti, which lasted from 1915 to 1934.

After Butler retired from the US Marine Corps, he made a nationwide tour in the early 1930s giving his speech "War is a Racket". The speech was so well received that he wrote a longer version as a short book published in 1935. His work was condensed in Reader's Digest as a book supplement, which helped popularize his message. In an introduction to the Reader's Digest version, Lowell Thomas praised Butler's "moral as well as physical courage".[2] Thomas had written Smedley Butler's oral autobiography.

KDASFTG likes this.
  2. easymon1

easymon1

3. easymon1

easymon1

4. easymon1

easymon1

delete 'kgf.jpg

5. easymon1

easymon1

6. easymon1

easymon1

war 996.jpg

7. easymon1

easymon1

war 995.jpg

8. easymon1

easymon1

Home News Moment baying mob captures Colombian 'mercenaries' accused of 'assassinating' Haiti president Jovenel Moïse along with two Americans - as power struggle breaks out between rivals over rule of troubled nation
    Moment baying mob captures Colombian 'mercenaries' accused of 'assassinating' Haiti president Jovenel Moïse along with two Americans - as power struggle breaks out between rivals over rule of troubled nation
    22 hrs ago
    34 minute
    Read 4 Comments
    • Police said 26 Colombians and two US citizens were involved in the raid on Jovenel Moise's mansion in the early hours of Wednesday, without providing any motivation as scepticism grows among the populace
    • They include James Solages, 35, and Joseph Vincent, 55, both US citizens of Haitian descent, who were pictured with 15 other suspects - the rest are either still at large or have been killed, the police said
    • Footage showed two Colombian suspects being hauled through the streets with ropes around them, one of the men was shirtless and covered in blood as people shoved him amid shouts and shrieks from the mob
    • Another two alleged hired guns were discovered hiding in bushes by a crowd who grabbed the men by their shirts and pants, occasionally slapping them, before they were handed over to police and loaded onto truck
    • 11 more hired guns were collared after they tried to break into the Taiwanese embassy to hide from authorities
    • Police originally claimed to have killed seven 'commandos' in a shoot-out and arrested several others on Wednesday, this was later revised down to three men slain
    • The confused picture painted by the authorities only serves to put the interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph - who was due to be replaced this week - on a more precarious footing as the Haitian public demand answers
    • Joseph declared a 'state of siege' and seized sole power of the country, a move disputed by the man who Moise had named as his successor, the country's coronavirus tsar, Ariel Henry
    • Adding to that turmoil, the Caribbean nation has no clear legal framework for successiovafter the justice chief who should have taken over, according to the constitution, died last month of Covid-19 This is the moment a baying mob captured Colombian 'mercenaries' in Haiti, dragging them bloody and beaten through the slums of Port-au-Prince, amid chaos in the power vacuum left by the president's assassination.
      Police said 26 Colombians and two US citizens were involved in the raid on Jovenel Moise's mansion in the early hours of Wednesday, without providing any motivation or information on who ordered the hit as scepticism grows among the populace.

Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph - who was due to be replaced this week - has seized power and declared a 'state of siege.' The country hangs in legal limbo as the justice chief who was constitutionally bound to takeover upon the president's death died last month of Covid-19.

The man named by Moise as Joseph's successor, opposition favourite Ariel Henry, has claimed that the government should be his.

Joseph, seeking to establish order amid chaos on the streets, paraded 17 alleged hired guns beside tables stacked with rifles and break-in tools at a press conference on Thursday. They included Haitian-born American citizens James Solages, 35, and

http://www.scoopyweb.com/2021/07/moment-baying-mob-captures-colombian.html

9. easymon1

easymon1

delete 'vhf.jpg

10. easymon1

easymon1

delete 'phf.jpg

#10     Jul 10, 2021