What is the difference between canoeing and kayaking?

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by viv5468, Apr 12, 2020.

1. viv5468

viv5468

A canoe requires a “J” stroke (to compensate for paddling on one side) whereas a kayak has a balanced left and right stroke that better aids in tracking and balance. Canoe paddles here are heavy. Kayak paddles are ergonomic and light!
    AND
    What is the difference between canoeing and kayaking?

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

I have no idea, I've always had a fear of any water deep enough for my feet to not to be able to find the bottom.

3. TRS

TRS

Kayaks are enclosed and canoes are open. Although ocean going kayaks are shaped flatter more like a wave ski.
    Think of your kayak as a sports car/off roader and your canoe as a boulevard cruiser, and go from there...

4. Kayaking is better with one person while canoeing is better with two.

TRS likes this.
  5. JSOP

JSOP

One is a canoe. One is a kayak?

ElCubano likes this.
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

Exactly. I prefer a canoe as it is much roomier.

7. xandman

xandman

That v shaped hull of a canoe tracks straighter on the water and allows you to do a deep "J" stroke to move a maximum volume of water in a single stroke.

With a kayak, you need short alternating strokes so you don't turn around on a single stroke. Instruction from a guide will be beneficial. Personally, I found the technique and the need for consistency tiresome. It is great for rough and shallow rivers. Imagine trying to to go thru a patch of rocky river of only 5 inches in depth with a deep hulled canoe.

However, the canoe along with deep, calm water is for me. I would also want easy access to fishing/hunting gear.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  8. DepthTrade

DepthTrade

The main difference is kayaks are enclosed. You can get either with deep rocker or flat with a keel. Ocean/ lake or whitewater kayak. The same for canoes, I have seen deep rocker canoes with a flat bottom and zero keel. For whitewater canoes, they will put in a 'saddle' in the center, then lacing across the front and back with airbags, that replaces the need to be enclosed with a 'skirt'.

9. It's mainly the paddle. Canoeing uses a single-bladed paddle whereas kayaking uses a double-bladed one.