What is the psychology of "selling at the bottom" for a loss

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by mute9003, Oct 13, 2022.

1. mute9003

mute9003

Im trying to understand the mechanics or psychology or motivation behind this giving up and selling right before trend reversal.
    I see it described in books and i am guilty of that myself.
    And always seem to "give up" hours sometimes even minutes before a reversal and an uptrend

For example today avct
    I made a stupid mistake of riding it through RS
    And for absolutely no logical reason held it through the slow downtrend after RS
    And after watching it slowly go down more every day i said thats enough for me its not moving up or down so im out and literally minutes after i sold it it spiked

This happened to men many times and i still cant figure out how i managed to sell right at the fn bottom before trend reversed

I mean i never see it when im not holding a losing position and if i decide to hold it just keeps going more down
    I need help to figure this out

Obviously the right move was to "put the stahp loss bro" so i dont need a repeat of literally every youtube guru "the stahp lass bro"

Just need to figure out why and how i manage to consistently find the bottom of the trend but its never in my favor

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. GotherL

GotherL

You've to look at the bigger picture bruh.

ES up 200 points. NQ up 600 points from open. Ofc, we see sympathy rally across most sectors.

Don't just stare in front of one chart all day long.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  3. deaddog

deaddog

Obviously the financial community is keeping an eye on what you do and is out to cause you the most pain possible.

4. Overnight

Overnight

The psychology of it is that you only notice these worst-case scenarios. You are forgetting all the times you sold at the peak before reversal taking max profit, or selling in middle of downtrend and saving yourself from max pain.

taowave, ET180 and Zwaen like this.
  5. mute9003

mute9003

Well im learning so i donno why people assume im supposed to know certain things like yall never made mistakes when you started

6. mute9003

mute9003

I keep track of those as well
    And when i do manage to ride the up trend im pretty good at finding the top as well
    But more often i find myself stuck riding to the bottom and then selling right before reversal..
    Since im only looking at the chart there must be something in the chart movement that makes me feel like "this is not gonna go anywhere so i will sell"
    But then the times i decide not to sell it just keeps riding down
    I dont know enough about reading the finer details to anricipate whether it would go up or down

Or maybe im reading something backwards and the reason why i seem to always pick the wrong action
    I cant figure it out
    Im looking at these charts over and over and dont see anything that could help me
    Can you check the avct chart today and give me some feedback about the area before the green?
    Afternthe opening it had a nice run and i sold right into it.

What am i missing here?

7. Overnight

Overnight

Whoever suggested nobody else made mistakes? I am giving you the answer to what the psychology may be you are seeing, because I saw it myself in my trading. I only remember the worst-case losses, and never the many little victories along the way.

taowave likes this.
  8. mute9003

mute9003

I mean sometimes it fn feels like it.
    I know im reading something backwards just cant figure out where it is

9. deaddog

deaddog

That you can't be right all the time. That's where risk management comes in.

murray t turtle and zghorner like this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

A little shitty company like that with a -$30 EPS? It got pulled along the currents with the general market is my guess. But I don't trade individual stocks, just the broader index.

#10     Oct 13, 2022