What's income tax?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by RGLD, Oct 14, 2020.

1. RGLD

RGLD

I pay my federal, and state taxes and that is based on my "income". Is that it the same thing?

I've went through https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/incometax.asp but it doesn't tell me if they are the same.

I've been told Florida has no income tax? Does that mean there is no state tax and only federal? lol I'd move there! I have to pay Federal, State, and City taxes here. Plus tax on purchases.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. deaddog

deaddog

3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

have you never paid taxes before?

murray t turtle and jys78 like this.
  4. RGLD

RGLD

They are called accountants. I pay them. I know what I told you. I know what the 3 taxes are I'm just asking if income tax is just another name for those I mentioned.

To put it clearly: If a state has no Income tax. Does that mean there is no state tax? Or is this another tax on top?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Here in Florida there's a 5.5% income tax if your business is operating as a C-Corp, but if you are an individual or a business operating as an S-Corp, LLC or Sole Proprietor, you are exempt from that tax.

So to answer your question, if you are an individual there's no state income tax here. How Florida generally compensates for that is by imposing a tourism tax on short term stays at hotels, condos, etc. So instead of charging the residents a state income tax, we shift all that burden over to the millions of tourists that flock to Florida every year for vacations. :D

RGLD and murray t turtle like this.
  6. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

There are many types of taxes (at the state level)

Personal Income Tax is based on income. Some other common types of tax include...

Sales Tax
    Property Tax
    Fuel Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Inheritance/Estate Tax

The above is not an exhaustive list. State taxes are placed into law and implemented by the specific state governments. State taxation of business structures is a separate set of taxes, also implemented at the state level.

RGLD and murray t turtle like this.
  7. RGLD

RGLD

Thanks for this. So in other words, if I move to Florida and work at Wendy's, I will only be paying federal taxes?

Income tax = Federal+State+City. I get it now.

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That's correct.

9. The following states have no state/local income tax:
    FL, TX, SD, WY, NV, NV, AK
    TN and NH only tax interest and dividends, but TN will be completely income tax free for 2021. The other 41 states tax ordinary income with CA having the highest top rate at 13.3%.

10. %%
    Good points TW;
    but its important to note those are mostly ''user fees'' IF you dont want or use ammo, you pay no federal user fee or any tax on it . But its money/ user fee well worth it on ammo...……………………………………………………………………………………….

#10     Oct 14, 2020