Which bank stocks are you buying?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cesfx, Mar 15, 2023.

1. cesfx

cesfx

Are banks a decent opportunity at these prices for the medium/long term?

Is Credit Suisse too big to fail?

It would be great to hear some opinions as things are getting interesting out there.

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

CSFB is too big to fail in that the counterparty risk and depositors will be protected.

the equity is not too big to fail and these situations the equity and the company are two different things.

murray t turtle, DaveV and cesfx like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

Which bank stocks are you buying?
    --->
    Which bank stocks are you selling?

Anyway, it is quite late to short it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  4. smallfil

smallfil

Bank stocks are headed down. Ever hear of catching a falling knife? Follow the trends, you will be better off as a trader or investor as the case maybe. Fighting the tape, is not the smartest thing to do! All you will have is losses upon losses. Short stocks but, do not borrow the shares as your risk to the upside is unlimited. Buy a put option instead, go out 3-4 months to maximize the leverage. This is not the time to cower in fear but, take the opportunities being given to you. These are the times, people grow rich in a short period of time. Of course, that assumes you understand the stockmarket and know what the hell you are doing.

wastelands likes this.
  5. mikeriley

mikeriley

Only a blind man would not take advantage of the
    selling opportunity with SBNY.

YM was complete Niagara Falls last night.

At the end of the day, make your own decisions.

80% of my profits come from selling..HALLALUJAH!

wastelands, cesfx and smallfil like this.
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

It might not be too late to short if this situation contagions across the entire banking sector globally. Certainly the shorts of SVB and other regional banks have cleaned up in recent days.

SVB collapse leads to big paydays for short sellers
    https://news.yahoo.com/svb-collapse-silicon-valley-bank-short-sellers-111656437.html

The shorts have cleaned up during the Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank mess.

Short sellers - who aim to profit from a decline in a stock price — of regional banks are up a cool $3.53 billion in March month to date in mark-to-market profits, according to new data from S3 Partners. Shorts are up $2.29 billion in mark-to-market profits in the last three trading days alone.

Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank had been in the top 20 most-shorted regional bank stocks, S3 Partners says.

Silicon Valley Bank's collapse on Friday was the second-largest bank failure in the U.S. Signature Bank's subsequent failure represented the third-largest banking bust. Both outcomes wiped out shareholders in each.

Regulators stepped in last Sunday to backstop depositors of the banks to prevent the start of a wider financial system crisis.

But bank stocks have still seen wild levels of volatility this week despite the government intervention and, in turn, the shorts have come out of hiding.

The SPDR S&P Regional Banking Sector ETF plunged 23% from March 8 to March 13, according to S3 Partners. Over the last seven days, $416 million of new short selling in the regional banks has emerged amid this drop, S3 Partners says.

That said, with some calm returning back to markets mid-week and bank-bust narratives cooling, the short trade on regionals could be poised to go the other way.

"We should see a wave of short covering in some of the regional banking stocks in response to this sudden spike in stock prices as short sellers look to realize some of their recent $2.29 billion of mark-to-market profits," says S3 Partners' Ihor Dusaniwsky.

longandshort likes this.
  7. mervyn

mervyn

nuts, i just spent $35 in the branch to wire my money out, i don't trust their bank check, which is free. sbny is done.

murray t turtle likes this.
  8. deaddog

deaddog

SPDR S&P Regional Banking ETF (KRE)
    Stop @ 41.75

cesfx likes this.
  9. Yes, banks could have further to fall. The saying " you have to buy when there is blood in the streets" comes to mind. Credit Suisse is a globally and sytematically key bank. Vastly more important than the recent US banks. I seriously doubt it will be allowed to fail, the ramifications for Europe and the US would be quite enormous. I suspect there are some emergency plans being urgently discussed as i write. I bought a few shares as a minor speculation, and they are already up a bit ... for now at least! Yes, they could crash further, it is a calculated risk. Looking at a few options chains today as well...

10. Hello cesfx,

I am buying ALL the banks in Vanguard SP500 index. The same banks I been buying for years every month.

I have NO clue on earth what banks are in the Vanguard SP500 index, and I never plan to found out either.

Thank you SOOOOOO much Jack Bogle for saving my life by inventing the index funds. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU.

#10     Mar 15, 2023
    Tradess0610 and cesfx like this.