Who needs a prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by topguntrader, Oct 30, 2001.

1. The whole point of trading is to get out of damn coorperate office...and have the luxury of trading in your pajamas at home.. Whats the point of going to commute to another office...Trading for me is the dream of independence...The last thing I want to do is be in another office..Thoughts???

2. ktm

ktm

I'm with you top gun. I make six figures in my jammies too, trading retail. Now that I have IB and can scale in and out with a 90% commission reduction, I'm gonna really roll. Swing trading with a POS QCharts feed and some backup real-time options quotes...$100 bucks a month, total. These "pro's" can call me what they want, I don't use margin anyway. I think it's great that the pro's are happy and making money...more power to 'em. From this thread though, some don't seem so happy.

3. Bob777

Bob777

I agree that independence and getting out of corporate politics is what lures us to trading. I feel that trading out of an office or remotely from home is more of a personal preference.

After working from home for the past 7 years, I wouldn't mind going to an office. Problem is a lot of firms don't have the resources to offer on-site trading.

Bob

4. ok, this is very entertaining...it's good to see other people using real names and stating their case
    my own personal opinion about pro firms(if anyone cares):

I think i would like to continue to trade at home or at least have the option to...having worked at 2 of the biggest brokerage firms I know that there is always a "saboteur" on board, and although sometimes I do miss having people around me all day, i'm in it for the $ so, "if you want a friend, get a dog" G. Gecko

and you know what they say about first impressions: I inquired about a Bright office near me about a year ago and it seemed like I was inconveniencing them for general info
    , if someone just showed a little interest in showing me around I probably would have joined up

a month or two ago I called echo, and it just seemed like they wanted me to get the info...and when I called to ask about possibly visiting the NYC office, they had someone from NY call me at home

i guess what I'm trying to say is...I've been buying suits and clothes from a place in town for years when I know I could go to the mall and get the same stuff cheaper...but when I go to my fav. place, most of the salesmen either remember my name or treat me with professionalism...
    so, I'm sure I just got lost in the shuffle when I called Bright, but it left a bad taste in my mouth...and I haven't joined Echo, but so far I like what I've seen
    Anyway, like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?":cool:

5. From what I read, there are many advantages to trading at a prop firm .

However, as the previous post sez, two hours commuting back and forth to an office, where you can't control a thing about your environment is a horrible sacrifice. :eek:

It's worth 50k a year to me to stay home.:cool: :cool:

6. Originally posted by topguntrader
    The whole point of trading is to get out of damn coorperate office...and have the luxury of trading in your pajamas at home.. Whats the point of going to commute to another office...Trading for me is the dream of independence...The last thing I want to do is be in another office..Thoughts???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some married guys getting away from home is worth $50k

7. Who needs rock bottom commissions or the fastest connections or an office to go to if you are swingtrading?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=2776

Swingtrade away with IB, Echo, Cyber or MB Trading from home. No commute, no desk fees, no minute by minute stress of intraday trading and, best of all, you can do it naked in your bedroom.

8. Magna

Magna Administrator

andrasnm,
    For some married guys getting away from home is worth $50k
    LOL, too much...

candletrader,
    best of all, you can do it naked in your bedroom.
    Dang, so I'm limited to the bedroom, eh? :)

9. vinigar

vinigar

I kinda like what Tony Oz said in his book...it sorta went along like this.....Lying in bed watching CNBC, futures etc., I decided not to trade today and went back to sleep! Although not his exact words...it went something like that.....the market doesn't look that good today and its cold and rainy outside...ohhhhhh,,,ahhhhh,,,,hmmmmmmmm I think I sleep in:D :D :D :D :D

10. Hey thanks for your replies....That was my first post...I didnt think I would get 1 response..The people here are really cool...Glad I found this site!!!!!!:) :)

#10     Oct 31, 2001