Wine thread

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by Tsing Tao, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Someone in the feedback forum suggested an entire forum on wine, which I thought was a bit much. But I am very interested in other's thoughts on wines. I prefer a good Cab or Merlot, used to be a Pinot Noir guy but now...I just don't like it as much, though some of them I still find nice once in a while.

My top Merlot:

[​IMG]

Duckhorn three palms - has a black label on the top, not to be confused with the red label one that is a general napa valley grape, this one comes from the specific Three Palms vineyard. Generally runs about $85 but any vintage 2013 or later needs to age to round off a bit of the harsh youth of the taste. I'd stick with 2011 or earlier if you can find it. Otherwise, get a bottle of the '14 and hold it for 4-5 years.

As far as Cabernet goes, I like the Stag's Leap Artemis.

[​IMG]

About a $50 bottle for recent year vintages, you can't go wrong with Stag's Leap (even the ones that aren't labeled Artemis). Goes good with some smoked ribs. This one doesn't have the youth taste (at least my palate can't find it) and can be opened with 2014 or earlier with little issues.

Lastly, for when I do go with a Pinot Noir, I prefer Belle Glos

[​IMG]

Like the Stag's Leap, it's around $55 and has more of what I consider to be a packaging gimmick with the wax coated cork bottle, but as far as Pinots go, this one actually has some robust, back of the tongue flavor. It doesn't strike me at all as too fruity, has a nice, dark tannin and a great aroma.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Cool thread. My wife is absolutely nuts over that Three Palms Merlot. It's one of her all-time favorite wines. I drank wine with her for 15 years but out of the blue I developed an allergy to red wine somehow, so I moved on to bourbon.

At around $80, this is another one of her all-time favorites. But you've got to like that chalky dustiness of Howell Mountain wines to appreciate it:

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpg

Her top find in the past few months (in the $40 range) is this one:

TR14RW Mockup_650px copy.png

Unless my palette has changed since a few years ago, (which I doubt) this one was pretty much my all-time favorite:

miner-family-winery-oracle-red-napa-valley-usa-10250855.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Have never tried the Oracle - though a friend who sells wine said it's da bomb.

Another good one for the wife to try, if she likes the three palms. It's a Bordeaux.

[​IMG]

You'll never find the 2001, but you should be able to find the 2006 and 2009 or later. Go with the 2009. It's about $40 but it's a really good one. I have a rack of it for when folks come over to sit on the lanai in the fall by the firepit.

I'm going to try the Oracle if I can this weekend and report back.

4. I'm a sucker for a good Bordeux! I love trying all different kinds but one of my go toos is
    2009 Bourgneuf, Chateau Bordeaux. It's actually quite good. I haven't tried the one in the post before mine but I'll definitely keep a look out for it!

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, send me your address and we'll be right over. :D

Tsing Tao and riskbiscuit like this.
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Wonder what impact the fires will have on prices. Some will raise price just because they can. Others might go out of business altogether.

From what I read, this year's crop of grapes was already harvested.

7. Jeronimo

Jeronimo

Chateau Bordeaux is one of my favourites:sneaky:

8. RRY16

RRY16

Tsing Tao likes this.
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

[​IMG]

Really good Cab I had this past weekend. Overtones of spiced plum and coffee, but not too bold. Had the 2014, though it could have used a bit more time to age, methinks.

#10     Oct 25, 2017