You+

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Dec 2, 2015.

1. nitro

nitro

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. nitro

nitro

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  3. nitro

nitro

4. schizo

schizo

5. Gambit

Gambit

I think the point is that the market may force the change. Adaptation under duress for a lot of young people...

6. xandman

xandman

I think it is going to be a shallow rebellion against their parents materialism. Just like Gen X in the USA had "Grunge" in the 1990s.

The USA millennials, however, are a totally different camp. These guys had to take on $100,000 after their parents blew the tuition money on upside down home equity loans. Graduating with a $100,000 loan for a Gen-Xer indirectly meant they graduated from Ivy League. Nowadays, the millennials owe $100,000 going to State.

VPhantom and londonkid like this.
  7. Stewie

Stewie

I think I have to somewhat agree. Getting caught up in the rat race is ok when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but when you look at things like real estate rates in comparison to wage growth, people perhaps can see that they will be stuck their entire lives a slave to their mortgage.

The trend these days is on enjoying life and experiences, not owning things. Also, look at the growing popularity of these sharing economies.

The great bull cycle that allowed one working individual to raise a family, buy a house, 2 cars, vacations, maybe even a cottage cannot work for the next generation. The growth simply isn't going to be there to sustain this.

(Edit.. opps.. I shared my views even before I read the article, and now that I'm reading the article, I see it says the same sort of stuff that I just did)

VPhantom and Gambit like this.
  8. This dude is retarded and should stick to politics, not economics. He's going to do nothing but drive the rich out, put more stress on the middle, all to bail out the poor.

9. d08

d08

It's an age thing, consumerism kicks in later than usual and it's not as vulgar as before - most people with some money won't admire you for driving a flashy car or telling stories of your opulent vacations.

10. it's an age thing, but not measured in how many years old you are, but how many years it takes you to figure it out.

#10     Dec 3, 2015
    Cswim63 likes this.