Zim wants more money -

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hughb

hughb

He'll send you a personally autographed thank you card if you give it to him.

http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-marti...-220339590.html;_ylt=A2KJjbxgtrdQPhIAOPfQtDMD

AP) — George Zimmerman plans to step up fundraising to pay for his expenses while he awaits trial for fatally shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The former neighborhood watch leader's attorney said Wednesday that Zimmerman plans to launch the New George Zimmerman Defense Fund next month.

Donors will receive "thank you" cards individually signed by Zimmerman.

Attorney Mark O'Mara said an existing fund has raised $140,000 since last May, but the money it is running a bit low.

Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and claims the shooting was self-defense under the state's "stand your ground" law.

A trial is set for June, but a "stand your ground hearing" could be held by April.

2. Are you ready for the "expected" riots when the not guilty verdict is read? :confused: :eek: :( :mad:

3. hughb

hughb

If I understand the Florida rules for trial procedure correctly, the judge can unilateraly decide to allow the jury to consider a lesser charge. If that's true, and he let's them consider manslaughter, Zim could end up convicted.

Otherwise, yeah, I would be putting "black owned business" signs up on my storefront....

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Let 'em riot. Then we can really test the Stand your Ground laws.

5. hughb

hughb

And I don't think there is going to be a Stand Your Ground hearing as implied by that article. If I remember correctly, Omara said he is not using the SYG as a defense, he is simply going for self defense because SYG doesn't apply in this case.

6. pspr

pspr

Because Zimmerman was laying on the ground when he shot Martin?

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I have no problem with the natives getting a little restless. They riot every decade or two anyway don't they.

8. hughb

hughb

You can read Omara's reasons for it yourself, I didn't have any influence on his decision. There are other ways to get information besides the ET P&R forum. You may be separated from your "team" here for a few minutes, but they'll still be here to comfort you when you get back.

9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

At this point a lot of the evidence has been released and the media/people in the U.S. have endlessly debated the case.

The bottom line is that the decision in this case now will come down to two points:

1) Will George Zimmerman's lawyers be able to convince at least one or more jurors that he acted in self-defense to create a situation where either he is declared not guilty or have a hung jury.

2) In the opinion of most professional legal advisors, the charge of second degree murder is prosecutorial overreach in this case. If a jury is allowed to consider manslaughter then they may be more likely to convict. If a jury only considers second degree murder charges they may acquit simply to send a message that the prosecutor is being overly aggresive.

10. The media circus has died down, the racist nonsense seems to have subsided. Perhaps we can get some real justice here. Either way.

We can get past the the nonsense about 'them' rioting, whichever natives someone was referring to. I guess Americans will do whatever Americans do.

#10     Nov 29, 2012