How to calculate option gains?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Joseph1980, May 2, 2024.

1. 1% on the strike price direction means 100% gain for call/put options? . I have bought a call option with a strike price of 25.00 usd, the current stock price is 24.39 and the option price was 10.00 usd. If the new stock price is now 24.63 usd (1% on the direction of strike price : 24.39 + 0.01 x 24.39 = 24.63 ) the new option price will be 20.00 usd?

2. Are those magic mushrooms?
    1% direction == 100% gain! something is horribly wrong here! May want to gain some understanding before you flush money down toilet.

Perhaps if you post what option/expiration, etc and when, you may get some useful feedback.

jys78 likes this.
  3. wartrace

wartrace

Learn the Greeks before you start trading. Do NOT think in terms of % rather think of it in dollars. The primary driver of option price change is a function of Delta, Gamma, and Vega.
    Say you buy an at-the-money option with a .5 delta. This means if the underlying stock rises 1 dollar your option value will increase by roughly 50 cents. Gamma will also have a very small influence. Vega will also influence an options price when Implied Volatility changes.
    I found this book very informative and an easy read -
    Trading Options Greeks: How Time, Volatility, and Other Pricing Factors Drive Profits

4. schizo

schizo

5. wartrace

wartrace

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I just bought the last available copy on Amazon.:D
    Although I "think" I have a good handle on the Greeks I am always up for more knowledge.

schizo likes this.