Why can't I trade both bid and ask simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Options' started by UVXY20, May 1, 2024.

1. UVXY20

UVXY20

Interactive Brokers won't let me do this. Anyone know why? Is it illegal? What if I open one side with IB and another side with another broker, split-screen. Is this a problem? Isn't this what market-making is?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It is against option exchange rules for a priority customer to be on both sides to open. A professional customer is allowed to but IB needs to have the ability to change Compliance settings.in addition, you have to tag your orders correctly. If you enter buy 10 to open and sell 10 to open, then buy 5, 5 of the 10 on the sell side are incorrectly tagged.

guru, murray t turtle and rb7 like this.
  3. DaveV

DaveV

Are you asking if you can have both a bid and ask outstanding on the same stock?
    As long as you have not lock-crossed the stock (i.e. where the bid price equals or exceeds the ask price), you certainly can, and IB does allow it.

EdgeHunter and murray t turtle like this.
  4. FSU

FSU

Bob, in your opinion could a non pro customer be on both sides of an option market if the orders are routed to different exchanges?

And,
    Would it matter if these exchanges did not give customer priority.

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  5. poopy

poopy

No.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is a good question that I’m not comfortable providing my opinion on in a public forum. The reality is that a MM is a regulated trader that has quoting and other requirements that customers do not have. Customer orders have priority to firm and BD orders. The exchanges do not want to provide both priority and two sided trading while not regulated.

Picaso and murray t turtle like this.
  7. IB allows you to trade both sides of a market, but you have to wait for a period to do it. That period varies depending on the symbol. Essentially you first have to match one side and then send an order for the other, after that period has passed.

https://ibkrcampus.com/glossary-terms/wash-sales/

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

These are not wash sales we are talking about. We are talking about market making as a customer where both sides are to open.

Drawdown Addict likes this.
  9. UVXY20

UVXY20

So using one broker for the bid and another for the ask is ok?

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

no and it would be dumb to run a strategy like this.

you post a bid and an offer. Get picked off on one. Now what do you do? You are in a position you don’t want and paid the new bid offer.

#10     May 1, 2024