Why traders prefer regular index options over futures options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by curiosity, Apr 10, 2024.

1. To my understanding more traders choose equity index options like spx/ndx/rut but I fail to understand why they don't trade on micro futures options of the same indices?

With futures options
    1. Its 24/6 hours market
    2. Margin requirement is substantially less
    3. With the correct broker/FCM - the commissions and other fees are also less
    4. MES and MNQ options have good liquidity

Please advice benefit of regular index options that I dont know (compared to futures options)

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Most people have a securities only account.

mervyn likes this.
  3. Instead of 1 SPX option I have to do 2 ES options, more transaction fee...

curiosity likes this.
  4. Traders often like regular index options better than futures options for a few reasons:

1. Flexibility: Regular index options give traders more choices for when they want to buy or sell. They can pick from a bunch of different prices and dates, which helps them make strategies that fit what they think will happen in the market.

2. Limited Risk: With regular index options, traders don't risk losing more than what they paid for the option. But with futures options, they could lose a lot more, especially if the market goes against them by a lot.

3. Liquidity: Index options are usually easier to buy and sell than futures options. This makes it simpler for traders to make moves at the prices they want. Plus, it often means they pay less for trading.

4. No Margin Requirement: When traders use regular index options, they don't have to worry about meeting certain money rules like they do with futures options. This can help traders with not much money or those who want to keep things simple.

5. Different Strategies: Regular index options let traders try out lots of different ways to trade, like buying or selling options, or using combinations. This gives them more ways to deal with different market situations and risks.
    Overall, even though futures options have their good sides like more potential gains, many traders prefer regular index options because they're easier to work with, have less risk, and give more options for trading. If you want to learn more, check out ABBO News. They have lots of articles and analyses about trading that can help you understand what's going on in the markets and how to trade better. Also, you can join forums or groups online where traders talk about trading and share tips.

curiosity likes this.
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Is ChatGPT really this stupid?

Yik, Bobby T, Adam777 and 4 others like this.
  6. Thanks for taking time to explain. I should have been more specific - I was mainly asking about credit spread - either put side or call side - in that case their loss is defined and margin requirement is also defined.

I understand about liquidity part as regular options are more famous/familiar - but can you give me an example of flexibility - I am not sure why you said - more flexibility or different ways with regular options?

7. But with little less known futures brokers claim less than 0.39$ brokerage per side for MES and for ES it is about 0.99 cents or less

8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

he can’t because ChatGPT doesn’t know.

dorietrading and curiosity like this.
  9. :D

10. Still opening and closing 2 ES futures: 4 dollar. SPX is 2,40. Big difference..

#10     Apr 11, 2024