Journal from a lurker who just made his first post on ET

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Last, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Last

Last

Hey guys, been lurking on this forum, reading it on downtime at work, for a couple years. Just want to thank you guys for the entertainment and everything, and I like that there is a small circle of regular posters here who have been active for years, its cool.

I am a touring musician in a metal band, thats my main calling. Played hundreds of shows in 25+ countries, I like to brag about that I suppose because it was a huge childhood dream that I'm lucky to be able to live in real life. I made my first trade while on tour, sitting in a pub in Scotland. While digging around on my phone looking for any money I may have forgotten about, I remembered I had some XRP sitting in binance, and made like $2 just randomly figuring out how to place orders and stuff. So that peaked my curiosity, and I guess I liked how charts look, and liked watching them unfold. When covid started I couldn't tour so I got an evening job which freed up my mornings and late nights to trade and try out different markets. I mainly traded crypto, did pretty well, was fortunate enough to back off before things crashed hard, and have tried a little bit of everything other than options. Right now I am trading micro futures on a small personal account and one of those "funded account" evaluations. I know they are kind of like bucket shops, but I do know someone who has one and it seems they do cut checks so I think its worth a try.

I just wanted to post some of my trading days here since I like that the candor on this forum is a lot more "4chan" than "reddit" in terms of its brutal honesty/random opinions/experience clashing. I don't really mind posting my fuck ups since I am just trying to get good at this. Main things I'm working on right now are holding my winners longer and realizing when I'm wrong faster. And just trying to adjust to the pressure of trading live money. I found it easier to disconnect from the money psychologically with crypto because of how much of a joke it seems like, the rugs and the stupid cartoon characters and the really dumb people always claiming this new project was "the one". For some reason futures seems more serious and real to me, although I know a lot of people say its a joke too. I just think its cool how old futures markets are, reminds me of that line from the bible "there is nothing new under the sun".

Anyway, I want to just post some charts and screenshots of my daily pnl along with some random notes on the day or trading in general. Thanks!

Sekiyo, jimmy_ddd, cesfx and 6 others like this.
  2. The main problem I see....is no one knows the future, everyone is just purely gambling.
    Hoping to ride winners, and minimize losses is too idealistic and simplistic, but not necessarily mixing and jiving with reality.

Very few people can establish a reasonable, high accuracy, market hypothesis for the day of how things will generally look like and move and perform.
    If you don't have this, then you are gambling, hoping and praying blindly for money and profits and successful trades.

It's not enough to skim the surface of the water to fish....you have to understand the stuff below....why it's there, how it got there, why things are generally the way they are and located and expected to be,
    A greater grasp and understanding of the variables and elements of the game, of the trade,

Trading the market, especially daily/intraday, is part art, part science....you have to understand this, and how things can deviate in varying degrees,

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Last likes this.
  3. Last

Last

Yeah that makes sense, talking about hope to ride winners and minimize losses is probably just me trying to appear humble in front of you guys. But yeah I notice there are a lot of dual/contradictory notions in trading when it comes to actually trying to discern right conduct. And anything I try to stand on in that regard seems to kind of crumble away under scrutiny.

My hypothesis tomorrow for ES is that price is close to 4300 and there are old highs there from late April. Seems like price is close enough that its likely to test 4300. But then I also factor in that its Monday, and Mondays tend to start out choppy or slow. I think an early range is likely.

When I read that back to myself, it doesn't seem scientific and if its artistic then its pretty crude. But the main thing is that I don't want to jump in over zealously due to the trend on Friday. I want to see if it makes a morning range first.

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Cool story and I wish you the best of luck with your journal (and music) moving forward. And thanks for choosing ET over 4chan and Reddit. :D:thumbsup:

fullautotrading, TheDawn and Last like this.
  5. Last

Last

Thanks!

6. Last

Last

First sequence of the day. Price turning down off the Friday high, sold on a bearish engulfing bar/lower high, stop above the bar once it closed. Sold one more on the next break lower. Covered above the previous higher low being tested because I thought there was a good chance it could chop around and try to form a small range up there, being that its Monday morning. There wasn't initially a strong reaction when price ticked below that previous higher low so I somewhat impulsively closed the trade.

2022-08-15_9-27-14.png

easymon1 likes this.
  7. maxinger

maxinger

Which planet are you from?
    You used white candle as bullish candle and blue candle as bearish candle.

In this planet. We use green or blue as bullish candle. And red as bearish candle as red is associated with blood

For Chinese blood color red means prosperity. So red candle means bullish.

Anyway welcome to this planet earth.
    But do note this planet is over populated. It cannot be sustained

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  8. TheDawn

TheDawn

I tried reddit as well and I find it way too disorganized. You never know where the comments are and who's replying to who and which comments are replying to which. I like the organization of ET much better. And despite the brutal honesty of opinions, people on ET here are much more civilized.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Baron likes this.
  9. TheDawn

TheDawn

I have seen white/blue or white/red combinations offered as colour options for candlestick configurations. White is bright, which means upbeat going up and red or blue means dark or going down. Might make sense for some people. Everybody is different. Whatever works for trading is what counts.

10. TheDawn

TheDawn

This is why Covid happened. Did its job (not as perfectly but tried) for Thanos.

#10     Aug 15, 2022