[need help] Stock filter or screener algo development

Discussion in 'App Development' started by baljit.kaler, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Hello there. i want to develop an algo to filter stocks. Let me explain.
    I have a written logic or say conditions on what basis i want to filter stocks.
    Say that i want to code my conditions for a selected scrips. And i want my code to filter those stocks.
    Kindly share your experience how can i do that. Which is best language to do so.
    I know a bit C language and can learn a new one if necessary.
    i need to filter stocks for EOD data and live data. Later i want to going fully automated but for now i want to make an algo for filter purpose only.

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Pinescript on trading view. Tc2000, stockfetcher. You do not have to maintain a database with these programs.

baljit.kaler likes this.
  3. Thanks brother
    Conditions are advanced and I don’t see such type of inbuilt functions in programs i am familiar with.
    Anyway let me explore your suggested platforms.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

Give an example of a scan you want to do?

baljit.kaler likes this.
  5. Say that a scrip is in consolidation and i want to define what consolidation with my logic not a pre written method.
    I would write a function which describe what it means by consolidation and then a breakout and i want to define by myself about that breakout also. And then i want my algo to scan datafeed and filter stocks as per my coded conditions. Then main thing is that everything about ohclv data and time and events. I am a bit familiar with pinescript also ( about indicators mainly) but I am not familiar with custom made screener in pinescript.

6. Peter8519

Peter8519

Can try Finviz.com. You can get screening idea from there. No script is needed.

7. PPC

PPC

Finviz, Pinescript and TC2000 are quite limited.

Have look at Amibroker, its capabilities are virtually unlimited, plus it’s easy to learn (it’s similar to C language). Its license is forever (unless you want to upgrade). It has fantastic support community https://forum.amibroker.com/

The only thing with Amibroker is that you need to get 3rd party data.

baljit.kaler likes this.
  8. Thanks brother! This is good one.

9. Peter8519

Peter8519

Be warned. I am using Amibroker for about 15 years. Its script is similar to C but its flow is vastly different. It's more like real time programming with array arithmetic. It supports Basic or Java via OLE(AmiBroker Object Model). It has a steep learning curve. But once you master it, it's fast and powerful. If it's for EOD data then Yahoo Finance is the best with its AmiQuote downloader.

baljit.kaler likes this.
  10. After exploring much i decided to go with amibroker. Kindly have a notification on for my this thread. I may need help.
    I am exploring afl now. I will take trades manually but i want to filter large database of scrips (around 1000+).
    can it scan 1000+ scrips for my coded conditions simultaneously? I may want to backtest also. Can it backtest last 10 years of EOD data of multiple scrips?

#10     Jul 18, 2024