$73,000 for a 1 night stay in hospital because of a snake bite

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 10, 2009.

1. http://www.health-care-reform.net/causedeath.htm

I have seen stats that range between 100,000 per year, to 400K per year dieing because of medical negligence, depending on what they count.

I would like to know what the per capita medical error rate is for other systems.

For comparison about 40,000 are killed in car accidents.

#41     Aug 10, 2009
  2. Just quoting you because you reminded me about anesthesiologists. Most of them around here don't take insurance. Not very possible to have a surgery without using one, though. Just one more thing that's broken.

#42     Aug 10, 2009
  3. Bob111

Bob111

50% is a drawback? be happy...let's do some simple math for average USA joe...
    25% federal taxes(family with 65-130K income),6% state,13% SS tax:=44 already...then there is local taxes,school taxes,real estate taxes,medical insurance,how much is the total?
    the system is f* to the core. it's all starts from cost of education.
    but wait..there is more...now they saying -we will tax you even more...

#43     Aug 10, 2009
  4. A guy is dying of thirst in the desert. He spots a saloon ahead and keeps crawling till he gets there.

He crawls in and asked the bartender for a glass of water. The bartender says that they don't have water but he will sell the dying man a beer.

The man says he doesn't have any money and that he is dying and would the barkeep give him a beer.

The bartender refuses and about that time the man spots a spittoon under the bar, crawls to it and starts drinking.

The bartender is disgusted and tells the man to stop and he will give him a beer.

The man keeps on drinking and drinking and finally finishes the spitoon.

The bartender asked the man why he didn't stop, to which the man replies.

"I couldn't it was all in one piece."

#44     Aug 10, 2009
  5. I was met with disbelief when I posted this concept earlier...

However, if I were to start a small business and have it earn $100,000... under the proposed higher Obama Federal income tax rates.. and if I paid my RE taxes out of it... and spent the balance where it would be subjected to our 8.3% sales tax... I could pay up to $68,000 in various taxes of the $100K.

And of course, "taxes have to go up".

At what point do producers just say FUCKIT?

#45     Aug 10, 2009
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yeah, there's immoral in there somewhere... :eek:

Dr. John McDougall, whose simple program of eating a whole foods plant-based diet reverses heart disease, adult-onset diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure within just couple of weeks tells this enlightening story, which illustrates one of the biggest problems with our current approach to health "care":

In 1986 I was invited by the administration of the Seventh Day Adventist St. Helena Hospital in Napa Valley, California to run the McDougall Program as their lifestyle residential program. This was a good match because their founding religion believes in a vegetarian diet and a healthy lifestyle. (I am not an Adventist.) This hospital was also considered one of the best heart surgery centers in the country. Even then it seemed odd to me to invite a doctor who is against most heart surgeries to work at a hospital that makes 80% of its income from heart disease.

Now that I was working at a respected hospital, I figured, I might be able to get medical insurance to pay for patients to attend my program. I approached several well-known companies. I argued that our program could treat heart patients at a fraction of the cost of bypass surgery ($4,000 vs. $100,000). No matter how hard I tried to convince them, the sale was impossible.

A representative from one large insurer told me that they were not interested in my approach because it required the cooperation of the patient, and all the bypass surgeon had to do to relieve chest pain was to get the patient to willingly lie down on the table. They apparently had little faith in patients’ judgment and willpower.

I countered, “But, some patients will change their diet and they deserve this alternative.”

After some contesting I finally got the real answer, “McDougall you just don’t get it. As an insurance company we take a piece of the pie and the bigger the pie the more we get.”

#46     Aug 10, 2009
  7. "Going to the doctor for strep throat would cost $65-$70. In the ER, it's $600 to $800,"
    ----------------

Why the big difference?

#47     Aug 10, 2009
  8. Mnphats

Mnphats

Excellent point and I see this area of health care growing by leaps and bounds and benefits everybody. At our local target a group of nurse practitioners opened a office to treat minor ailments and flu shots and the like. For a flat fee of 30 bucks or something. Excellent source of care opened 7 days a week from 7am to 7pm.

#48     Aug 10, 2009
  9. Still have the Douane, and the VAT at 25%?

#49     Aug 10, 2009
  10. Ah. The answer is right here. The prostitute could have sucked the poison out for 300, and the lawyer could sue the snake, although in court, who could tell the snake from the lawyer?

Anyway, you cut the Doctor out.

#50     Aug 10, 2009