9/18/07 - A Sad Day For America

Discussion in 'Economics' started by aeliodon, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Ignore this post. I just want to record today's mortgage rates to see where they move from here.

Loan Type Rate APR
    30-yr Fixed 6% 6.17%
    15-yr Fixed 5.68% 5.95%
    5/1 ARM 6.05% 6.96%

#81     Sep 18, 2007
  2. print mo money..........

#82     Sep 18, 2007
  3. Just so you know, as generally there are some wrong assumptions about the Swiss Franc.

It is no longer hard currency, it has been a fiat since 2000 or 2001 and was slowly being debased since 1970s. While Switzerland enjoys a number advantages, its currency is kind of an illusion. Like I said, it's pretty much a fiat nowdays and it was quite a surprise to me when I found this out through random research.

#83     Sep 18, 2007
  4. If you're not pissed off yet, just check where the Canadian Dollar is trading.

Yup, less than three more cents, and theirs will be worth more than ours!

#84     Sep 18, 2007
  5. Should be met with a moment of silence. That's Hank 'Strong-Dollar-Policy" at work!

#85     Sep 18, 2007
  6. timbo

timbo

Hmmm. May be an inverted current account will piss you off even more.

#86     Sep 18, 2007
  7. Paulson has been a bust....who put him up to the job in the first place?

#87     Sep 18, 2007
  8. Bernacke will put us in a Japan style 20 year depression if he panics and uses up all this rate cut bullets while economy still strong and market near all time highs. I've never head of a CB panic so fast and so soon over nothing. And we don't have the savings resources to survive somthing like that like the Japanese do. A .25 cut in the discount rate would've been more prudent.

#88     Sep 19, 2007
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Raising rates would have been more prudent.

#89     Sep 19, 2007
  10. It's so fascinating to see Japan's recent history play out exactly in the U.S. Japan's central bank panicked in a similar fashion (albeit slightly AFTER a real collapse started to surface), and moved the funds rate all the way to 0%.

Did this stimulate spending? No, it didn't. In fact the Japanese consumer decided to save even more cash. It's interesting that as borrowing became increasingly affordable, the nation as a whole decided to stuff their money in savings rather than put it to use for consumption or venture capital.

As I've stated time and again, the issue is no longer rates, but confidence in the system. When the overall mindset becomes risk-intolerant, (as both banks and consumers are becoming toward real estate here), the economy steadily grinds to a halt. The worst consequence of this is a massive deflationary spiral like Japan has endured for decades.

There's no avoiding it. All this phony liquidity MUST be washed out of th system under a period of DEFLATION before our economy can get healthy again. It's going to happen regardless of monetary policy.

RoughTrader

#90     Sep 19, 2007