A Question about position size and trade duration

Discussion in 'Trading' started by illiquid, Mar 27, 2010.

1. And if the trade goes against you???
    You're looking at how much you can make on the trade. You should look at how much you can lose.

#11     Mar 27, 2010
  2. nice thread

#12     Mar 28, 2010
  3. It's a good point, but then let's take it a step further. You enter in with your initial 500, and it starts going your way. You are presented with an opportunity to add or pyramid up on a winner. Your current target is 3 points but you think: ok this trade is working, 3 pts is likely where it will go but what if I have a chance to double the position and get out at 1.5, reducing time/volume risk in the trade by half? Will there actually be a reduction in risk, since you'd be out of the trade that much sooner? In other words, can cutting the duration of a trade overcome the added risk of a larger position?

Maybe the confusion comes from me looking at it backwards. I know that if you take a large enough position that would affect liquidity on exit, you need to start getting out while the momentum is still going. Perhaps the answer is that Trader A and Trader B are actually putting on different trades altogether, and choosing one trade over another based on different expected holding times is apples and oranges when it comes to risk. Thoughts?

#13     Mar 28, 2010
  4. charts

charts

Stop here! You're delusional. :)

Also: don't trade based on your P/L because the market doesn't know and doesn't care about it.

#14     Mar 28, 2010
  5. Assuming this is true (who's delusional? :)) is probably the only way my argument holds -- that is, the market will not know whether you have 500 or 2000 shares. Therefore sitting for a 1.5pt move is far less risky than 3, no?

#15     Mar 29, 2010
  6. No.Heat

No.Heat

Illiquid,

I don't recommend either approach, risk comes before reward any day of the year.

#16     Mar 29, 2010