A sense the housing market has bottomed.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Nov 14, 2006.

1. you are correct.

#11     Nov 14, 2006
  2. He can be correct even if your housing market continues to fall, even if it plummets. He says that "there's a sense" and as long as "there's a sense" then he's right even if the sense is wrong.

5. That which is felt or is held as a sentiment, view, or
    opinion; judgment; notion; opinion.

#12     Nov 14, 2006

3. thank you.

regards,

surfer:)

#13     Nov 14, 2006

4. history indicates that your thoughts are very very very accurate.

exactly! nice!

surfer

#14     Nov 14, 2006
  5. My opinion is that it will take years for us to learn the full effects of housing. I am thinking that it should be good to buy real estate again probably in 2009-2010. 2007-2008 will be shakeout years.

#15     Nov 14, 2006
  6. Artie21

Artie21

Weren't you short oil at 50?

Every single indicator of housing is far above where they were when housing last bottomed, around 1994 and every other time since WW2. Housing starts, permits, YOY % price change, housing construction as a % of GDP.

If it's a bottom, it's a short term bottom and certainly no indicator of imminent rise.

#16     Nov 14, 2006
  7. #17     Nov 14, 2006
  8. Its not the stock market where you have people shorting and having to bid the prices higher to cover

#18     Nov 14, 2006
  9. historically housing moves with inflation

with rising oil, rates , etc....inflation has risen///just look at ur insurance bill

so to say housing will go up is not a BOLD statment

lest say we at 3% inflation and the housing market sits flat

IN real terms it lost 3% (not to mention mortgage, maintance, etc)

if u look at some housing pull backs (or debacles if u may) ..u'll see prices in LA in the 80s went down like 15% over a 7 yr period ...but in real terms..over 7 years it was more like 40%

i agree with others on this post...as a trader living in miami..we are JUST STARTING to see "GOOD" deals and fire sales...and the majority of the condo's have not been built yet..even good deals are not printing immediately....and really..they are not even good deals 2br for 500k is not a "good " deal..its still a lot of money

im assuming that is what is goin on in Las vegas, az, cali ,etc

Min 5 years to see a "REAL" uptick...meaning rising with inflation or higher at least in this market

nationally..who knows .....lets be honest ..its all local anyways...
    people in Detroit, TX , etc didnt get the RIP people in NY, DC, CAli ,FL got.....so they shouldnt come in like those places did

(even though in detroit ..its a blood bath..family lives there)

if i could i'd Arb Detroit with Miami in a heartbeat
    Long D town..short Miami

GO WOLVERINES!!!

d

#19     Nov 14, 2006
  10. interesting.. did you make those two trades (1: short djia, 2: short oil) as intended hedges to each other? They create somewhat a neutral position.

Oil selling off was writing on the wall for a market rally... these really are two contraindicated trades.

Perhaps my problem is I make too many trades derivative of an overall macro view.

ie...
    long oil, short market, short airlines, short usd, long ag commodities, short housing.

they are all correlary positions, though. ie short airlines = long oil.

#20     Nov 14, 2006