Acronis clone question

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by intradaybill, Nov 4, 2010.

1. "To clarify, the above statement from Acronis means Acronis cannot automate or update a clone; Casper has been doing it with aplomb for years."

- so true -

"intradaybill, Casper is exactly what you are looking for. I've been using it a long time and it's the only program I can think of that I have never had a lick of an issue with. It creates a bootable clone and it automatically updates it quickly and efficiently as you like—they call it SmartClone..."

- My weekly updates take only minutes. I use removable HDD trays.
    In case of HDD failure, virus, what have you, I'm back in business in minutes.
    Casper has never failed me -

#11     Nov 6, 2010
  2. I could have said this for the old Casper XP...
    But the newer Casper Secure is unreliable...
    It fails OFTEN on "Shadow Volume Copy" issues...
    And destroys the backup, too.

A failed copy that destroys an existing disk clone...
    Is 100% unacceptable EVER... no possible excuse...
    The kind of crap only Microsoft can get away with.

Casper is also very simplistic...
    And fails at basic partition work...
    Creating partitions as required is not rocket science.

#12     Nov 7, 2010
  3. promagma

promagma

I am using BuddyBackup .... it is free, does local and remote backup, compression, and is incremental even breaking out parts of large files that have changed. It seems to work great, but then again I haven't used the restore feature much, beyond some small files for testing.

#13     Nov 7, 2010
  4. GTS

GTS

I have been a long-time user of Acronis and I can't understand how it can clone a disk but not make an image backup of a disk because of a read sector - the source drive must be read regardless of the destination type (clone vs image).

The image backup is far superior, it takes up much less space, you can move them around on the network, you can mount an image and treat it like another drive... I would focus on figuring out what problems you are having with the image backup rather than just settling for clone backups unless you really want a clone.

I have one system that I image backup every week (automatically scheduled) and a laptop that I backup every month and have never had a problem with either the backup process or the image file it creates. I dont say this to diminish the problems you have had but rather just to put another data point out there - the product works flawless for me.

#14     Nov 7, 2010
  5. Thanks guys for the valuable input. Backing up drives is a very important task and your experience with different softwares is appreciated.

Update: as I said I was getting various error messages when using Acronis to make an image backup. After searching through forums and reviewing responses for similar problem I used from command prompt the following: chkdsk C:/r.

That worked. After the disk check Acronis made the backup. However, this points to peculiar behavior. If my hard drive contained a few bad sectors that prevented Acronis from making an image the program should have generated an error message prompting me to have the disk checked, or even do it itself, instead of giving out a error I could not understand its content. So I am very dissapointed with Acronis in this respect.

#15     Nov 8, 2010
  6. Hello intradaybill,

you're right, this issue is usually caused by the errors on the drive. We have this problem described in this Knowledge Base article: http://kb.acronis.com/content/1514

I understand your concern, and completely share your point of view: the software should provide more clear errors that would allow users to fix the problem. Rest assured, I've forwarded your comment to our Management team, and they will look into the possibility to change this functionality in future releases.

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions as well.

#16     Nov 8, 2010
  7. anybody try Macrium Reflect software for imaging? They have free and paid editions. I used the free edition in the past and it functioned pretty well although lacking some features of the paid edition.

#17     Nov 8, 2010
  8. jumper

jumper

With the incremental backup in Acronis, it takes up a lot of space on the hard drive. Once the hard drive is full, do you just start deleting the oldest files first?

#18     Nov 10, 2010
  9. Hello,

What is the difference between disk backup and partition backup?

For some reason I get both in my backup directory. I must have changed some backup settings.

#19     Feb 7, 2011
  10. GTS

GTS

A disk can contain multiple partitions.

#20     Feb 7, 2011