Acronis question

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by intradaybill, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Glad to hear it works well for you. Thanks for sharing your experience.

It seems we are always hearing of what does not work.

#11     Dec 29, 2011
  2. mokwit

mokwit

er, what exactly is a drive image? - I get the impression it is not a full backup of everything- currently doing full HDD backups with Casper XP and have just switched drives when needed the backup*.

Intrigued as to what dive imaging is/what it offers.

*Make a list of all files that need to be updated from backup e.g email files etc - also save stuff to desktop so if old drive is not trashed but has problem requiring switch can just go to the date in the list of files in desktop file and copy over.

#12     Jan 1, 2012
  3. I use Macrium Reflect and a HP usb hardrive to back up 5 computers. I have done several successful restores.

#13     Jan 1, 2012
  4. your impression is correct. it only backs up every other byte on the drive, you have to guess the missing ones.

#14     Jan 3, 2012
  5. jumper

jumper

I haven't had any luck with Acronis either. I switched to CMS Bounceback and I've restored a couple times in addition to booting up from that backup in an emergency.

#15     Jan 3, 2012
  6. rcj

rcj

Acronis works fine for me. Ive used the rescue disk twice over the last three yrs to restore evrything on my hard drive.

#16     Jan 3, 2012
  7. I restore my system using Acronis every month, It's working fine. :)

#17     Jan 3, 2012
  8. I've never liked Acronis.

For Windows 7 I've used just the OS backup/restore. No problems.

For a friend's XP, I helped her do a backup and then restore to a new drive with a freebie - EaseUS Todo (off CNET). It runs a Linux kernel to do the restore. Worked too, no problem.

#18     Jan 4, 2012
  9. That Easus todo package looks excellent.

I've been using Macrium Reflect for images and Cobian for back up but I'll have a look at this one and report back. It looks like it might replace the other two if it performs to the advertising.

#19     Jan 4, 2012
  10. OK. That was easy.

Easeus Todo is pretty easy to setup but has the following disadvantages.
    - the image backups are over 1/3rd bigger than the macrium reflect ones and it doesn't give you a "save this backup config" options
    - the file backup is no where near as comprehensive as cobian backup (options for compression, encryption, saving configurations).

I think I could have setup configs through the management option but I prefer the way the other two products just do it when you set up your backups/image saves. And I don't really want to have such large images.

So, its back to my previous options. I did use and like the easeus partition recovery tool once which is why I thought it was worth testing todo.

#20     Jan 4, 2012