Advise me on scalping targets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by birdman, Aug 22, 2019.

1. birdman

birdman

Advise me on scalping targets.

Most of you will feel i should abandon scalping for more like 20 to 30 cent targets, and you may well be right. On days when I'm digging out of a hole, i can see that i have a lot more patience with 30 cent targets. Most times I'm taking .04 to .11 profits on winners.

A little history ... at the start of 2018 i decided to learn intraday ... and I've still got a lot to learn. As some have wisely said, I'd be better off to stick with swing trading. I agree, but I'm semi-retired and have the time on my hands, so it goes.

I've finally settled on trading only SQQQ and TQQQ and i would limit to TQQQ alone except this is an IRA account and of course i can't short on an IRA. I trade 5000 shares at a time and always do market orders.

For this discussion, lets not think about what constitutes a buy signal, but for context, let's say I have Higher Highs and Lower Lows and an upward slope on a MA 14 on a one minute chart. Lets say it's not super hard trending, and not yet getting sideways ... just average.

Is there some rule of thumb you can recommend ... say some portion of the average of the last 4 to 10 bars ... that in your mind, is an optimal target for a scalper of TQQQ and SQQQ?

Some will say forget it and set target at last swing high. I may end up doing just that, but for you who scalp ... think with me in terms of the last 7 bars ... if we take an average of those last 7 bars, what portion of that average is a logical target for a scalper?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    easymon1 likes this.
  2. padutrader

padutrader

if you are looking for a one line answer there are none

birdman likes this.
  3. easymon1

easymon1

" . . .for context, let's say I have
    Higher Highs and Lower Lows,

already, I'm not liking the looks of that setup at all,

now, Higher Highs and Hower Lows, sounds eddie muchmore.

if you post a 3 charts, one showing result that is good, one bad,

and one that does not show any result at all, and frame out the x and y time and price axis.

That generic chart would be something like you would trade, but don't show beyond the candle before the one you would enter on, know what i mean?

you may get a couple of good ideas out of it.

birdman likes this.