Am I ready to go live?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by DougStewart, Jul 3, 2017.

1. I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I am repeating someone else.

My experience is that 11 trades a day average is way too many. I believe you said your average per trade is $7, so that reinforces the idea that you are basically scalping noise.

I have offered this advice to many newbies here over the years, and generally get mocked for it. After all, they killed it on a sim. Yet I am still here and most of them are long gone.

Your results came in a period that, from my personal trading, I would call exceptionally favorable to futures day traders. It was not at all reflective of what you can expect going forward.

I believe you said you have a 25k account and use 8k per contract on your sim. I consider that very aggressive for an experienced trader. For a newbie it could be disaster. Honestly, my advice would be to divide your money in half and put half somewhere you cannot access for trading. Trade one contract with the remainder. Then if you lose it, which is highly likely, you can decide whether to continue, but you will have to make an affirmative decision to do so. Perhaps you are very successful. You will have lost the profits off a couple of contracts, which is unfortunate but not life altering.

I hope I don't come across as a dick but I have seen a lot of smart people get chewed up by this business. Good luck.

#41     Jul 4, 2017
  2. volpri

volpri

I suggested the micro as a means to test his psychological mettle. It won't be anywere close to ES in terms of trading opportunities or profits or losses but if he has trouble handling losses or handling wins (yes wins can mess you up too) then those flaws will show up in a micro also. He can get scalping opportunities in the micro but certainly not near as often as in the ES. But if he is going to jump in the ES doing 11 trades a day (and i don't care which system he uses) he is gonna get eaten alive unless he can develop the right psychological skills. IMO he doesn't need to jump into trading the ES just because he did a month of SIM. He probaally needs to see how he will react, with real money on the line, but not find out in the ES. Osaka Nikkei mini may be better. I don't know. I think he really should sim the NQ too. It is more directional than ES.

#42     Jul 4, 2017
    Oysteryx likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

IMHO, this is folly. If he is "used to" the movement of ES, the NQ will eat him alive. NQ is a psychotic instrument compared to the relative average quietude of ES when it comes to range.

#43     Jul 4, 2017
    Gotcha and Oysteryx like this.
  4. Oysteryx

Oysteryx

Always relative. IMHO for fading ES better, for breakouts and pullbacks NQ better. NQ is less liquid and more volatile, it chews through levels.

#44     Jul 4, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.
  5. Jdesey

Jdesey

I agree. I never should have stopped trading NQ. Way more daily range than ES and the moves are more directional as has been mentioned. I am sure there are other assets that are similar. I was stuck on ES for no good reason and was closed minded to look at other trading instruments.

I am however a big believer that you trade only one asset at s time. You get to know it inside out. So I did stick to that

#45     Jul 4, 2017
    VPhantom, DougStewart and nakachalet like this.
  6. volpri

volpri

@Fedex...I am talking about testing his system out in the NQ. I am not talking about him trading the Nq live. The ES has alot of reversion. The NQ is more directional. His system may work better in it although i am not familiar with his system at all, so i don't know. I in no way meant for him to jump live in the NQ.

Imo there is no way he is ready for the ES AFTER 1 month on a Sim. He doesn't even know how he will react psychologically to the market. He could lose thousands trying to find put on the ES. Does he want to do that? I have been trading for shall i say many years and i can tell you there is no way he is ready to tackle the ES after a month on a SIM. But..i could be wrong. Maybe the new generation is way smarter?

But it is his money......his wife....he will answer to....as his account disappears way faster than he expected.

90% of traders problems is psychological..cognitive and emotional not their system. Newbies focus on the wrong thing. They think if they can just get the correct system...set of indicators...etc they will make it big in the markets. Not so. What did in Livermore? What did in Niederhoffer? What continued to do in Niederhoffer? To be fair what does in most of us?

IMG_4267.JPG

#46     Jul 4, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  7. hi doug

pls listen to your better half....

SHE ABSOLUTELY KNOWS, WHAT
    MONEY IS, AND HOW RELEVANT TO LIFE
    IT IS....

and I am absolutely serious.

if you are using 400 tics or 4 full points
    AND NOT 4 TICS out of 100 tics in
    a full point, or the 4 increments of a
    full point as in NQ etc....

to buff your trading decision in long or short,

it seems to indicate that you really do not
    quite know at this point of your learning
    curve WHENCE OR AT WHICH
    POINT IN THE PRICE CONTINUUM,
    TO ENTER THE TRADE....?

yes?

another important point,

reduce your initial trading cap to
    only about 5k, TO START....!

save the rest in a safe house, so you
    could kick start again in 6 months or so,
    in case someone steals your first batch of
    the 5k investment.... LOL

if with your current setup, however good it may appear,
    you can not apply it to either generate more income
    or to protect your initial 5k,

how do you wish to protect the entire 25k....?

PLS DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF THOSE
    OR OUR GOOD INTENTED TRADING FRIENDS
    HERE OR THOSE PROFESSED SUCCESSFUL TRADERS
    OF LONGIVITY THAT

A NEWBIE NEEDS ANYTHING MORE THAN
    5K TO WET HIS/HER DIRTY FEET....!

believe you me, the second, third and/or fourth
    kick start, will provide you with an entirely
    renewed vision and insight.... exclaiming
    why on earth, did I buy or sell at this price
    continuum....

and with such a large stoploss....?

wishing you profitable trading
    with much more precision....
    in days to come,

and with much tighter stop like....

1 full point or LESS....

IF YOU ALLOW MORE THAN 100 TICS
    OR ONE FULL POINT IN YOUR DAY TRADING
    SETUP.... sorry, my friends, your setup
    is not and can not yet be called with any
    precision as yet....

I ought to kick myself for making
    silly comment like that.... LOL

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    #47     Jul 4, 2017
  8. speedo

speedo

I had an economics professor who said.."If you want ten different opinions about a thing, ask ten different economists." These threads often operate on a similar principle. There are profitable traders who will offer their opinions based on their own experiences which may or may not have anything to do with your own. There will be others who offer opinions based on what they heard or read. Yet more are clueless but that does not stop them from offering advice. Moral of the story, there are some nuggets in here worth consideration but only you can determine your outcome as a trader.

#48     Jul 4, 2017
  9. volpri

volpri

@naka

I agree he doesn't need to start with 25,000. Start with 5000 and trade 1 contract if he must trade the ES. But I know don't know his method. It may require scaling in with more contracts?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    #49     Jul 4, 2017
    nakachalet likes this.
  10. doug

I even have a better idea

there are plenty of successful traders around here,

why not post your trading screen for everyone to
    see,

those of us who have a moment or two, to rest
    our sore eyes from our own multi-level monitors,

might come in momentarily to see what you and your
    smart spouse are cooking....