Any broker suggestions for API trading

Discussion in 'Forex' started by deimos, May 26, 2020.

1. deimos

deimos

Hi all,

I am looking for any broker suggestions four our in-house FX software.

We developed some rules/screens/shortcuts for our trading system and need a software integrated with all of our needs. For this, we need a broker that allow API trading. We do not want to setup a bridge for MT4.

A high leverage ratio is required for our system and of course reputation. All suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. 2rosy

2rosy

any prime broker with fix connection. actually, you could use TT and it's fix connection along with everything else it offers

3. Depends on our location.

If you're outside of the USA, you could consider a broker like Pepperstone who offers cTrader (platform with C# API,):
    https://pepperstone.com/en-au/trading-platforms/platforms/ctrader/

That would mean you're running a bridge of some sort again, but integration can be a lot more seamless / fast given the C# environment.

However, if you'd rather there's always a FIX option, which would provide much better connectivity (speed/latency/etc) and be super lean without the need for a bridge beyond what agent code you write to connect:
    https://pepperstone.com/en-au/trading-platforms/tools/api-trading/
    (Often FIX won't come with historical data pulls and just be real time streaming only, so you might need to work in a historical feed.. but talk to your vendor of choice anyway to see what they offer.)

--

Another option would be Interactive Brokers, who has a decent suite of APIs that support many languages, and they also have FIX but that comes with a monthly fee for connectivity. Only drawback is the minimum commission charges for FX trades on IB, making deals sub 50k notional kinda costly relative to other brokers. If your average deal size is much larger than this, then it's not even a problem.

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5041

Interactive Brokers is also a sponsor on this forum. I use them myself for options trading and think they are solid.

--

I'm not sure what the best offering is if you're a US resident as Interactive Brokers has hefty restrictions for Forex in the USA (imposed by regulators, not their fault,) and most on-shore FX brokers in the USA aren't very compelling... perhaps using Oanda's v20 API might be worth a look.

Unless of course you're working with a decent chunk of capital and will be doing yards of volume... then you can look at some prime / institutional broker options in the USA such as Intl FC Stone:
    https://www.intlfcstone.com/Commodities/Currencies/

However, you start to get into relationship based pricing and execution environments there... and they don't really cater to small traders.

4. FXCM offers API trading, While FXCM supports FIX version 4.4 too and FXCM offers a scalable, light, and robust Java API.

5. I'm not sure whether IB offers a leverage ratio which is high enough for the topic starter.

6. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

Leverage is good with pepperstone, ic markets, hotforex, etc.

Low cost programming with mt5 (maybe you should reconsider it).

7. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

I doubt you will find a better FX broker than Oanda; they have a very robust and userfriendly API.

8. deimos

deimos

thank you for all answers. I am outside of the US so more flexible.

mt4 mt5 with a bridge might seem a good option since the possibility of broker number is just huge, but after a serious time thinking of our strategy, we crossed it from our options.

Aussie and NZ brokers might seem well but there seems to be a high volume threshold for starting.

IB API is great but the leverage ratios are considerably low for our strategy.

FXCM is an option, Oanda is another. How about Dukascopy? they offer their own API for standard accounts. Also, LMAX is another zone offering a flexible API option.