Any OG's from pre-2000 still trading here?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sprout, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Sprout

Sprout

I'm looking for the earliest published material on market-making concepts and principles from an institutional pov.

Fact-checking a claim that this information did not exist in publication prior to mid-1990's.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I may be an OG of the OG you are looking for. LOL

Assistant trader on an OTC MM trade desk, back in the day when there was a handful of MM trade desks and legit US exchanges West of the Mississippi.

Publications/mementos in storage of that period... not much.
    Experiential memory however, is intact for brain picking.

Sprout, M.W., zghorner and 1 other person like this.
  3. 2rosy

2rosy

from 1993

Sprout likes this.
  4. R1234

R1234

Trading since the mid 1990's. Still alive and kicking!

Gambit, Sprout, M.W. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I started as an Option MM in1985 on the AMEX floor.

smallAxe, Sprout, destriero and 2 others like this.
  6. bookish

bookish

I quit trading after the military stole my account for the crime of making too much money.

I seem to recall that the phrase "market making" is actually a cute new buzz phrase used by young whipper snappers under the age of 80.

I have heard of "provisioning liquidity" which may be the same thing.

The worlds oldest stock exchange is the Paris stock exchange. You might find what you are looking for published in French.

I remember when they started the paris stock exchange in the 1700s. All those youngsters showboating around. Why couldn't they just buy and sell directly with the company like sensible people. Then those greedy banker types stuck their noses in it trying to sell liquidity to others trying to provision it.

You might also try searching for academic journal articles.

I take donations for my diaper fund and trips to the buffet.

Sprout and zghorner like this.
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Hey @tiddlywinks! Had no idea you were an OG.

What I'm looking for is essentially a domain specific glossary of terms that was used by those in with experience in MM from that era.

Hope you have a stellar memory!

8. Sprout

Sprout

OG in the house!

Would you have any introductory training materials from then? I'm looking for when certain keywords, concepts and principles were "coined."

So far my search has taken me into Larry Williams and Ken Roberts content but they seem to be marketed toward the retail trader.

9. Sprout

Sprout

Excellent, very informative post, thanks so much!

Oh, dang, do your kegels!

edit: Seems to be contradictory claims to the title of "first stock exchange."
    I'm appreciating the historians more and more.

Dutch East India Co
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7312/petr16378

In Bruges in the current Belgium
    https://www.citeco.fr/10000-years-h...dle-ages/creation-of-the-first-stock-exchange

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    bookish likes this.
  10. deaddog

deaddog

Look at some of the classic authors on speculation. Loeb, Livermore, Wyckoff, Etc.

#10     Aug 18, 2022
    Sprout likes this.