Anyone ever seriously follow and buy/sell based on insider actions?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by SoyUnGanador, Jun 23, 2022.

1. I see from time to time news stories about insiders buying this or selling this, but have never really looked into whether following what the insiders do regarding shares of their company is a smart thing for traders/investors to follow.

Has anyone ever looked into this, and the possible results (good or bad or mediocre) from doing it?

vanzandt, ET180 and murray t turtle like this.
  2. %%
    COULD be one of 500 things that may help.
    BUT so many good reasons to sell, that are not really trend related. Like Dave Ramsey \says sell single stocks anytime any asks\simply money management...........................
    FOR fun, i checked out Bill gates MSFT sales [WSJ paper ] stock sales ,some time ago, simply to see how he did on a daily price range,volume, figured he could buy the best traders:caution::caution: Dave Ramsey is right on his sale\single stock timing , but more than one right answer.

3. People sell for many reasons but they usually only buy for one reason.

DaveV and murray t turtle like this.
  4. nursebee

nursebee

Yes, for companies I follow as an investor, I look at such things closely. I have not done a study but rather think of this as a common sense indicator. Some things are crystal clear, others are up in the air, others are just muddy water. Looking at insider action has helped me eliminate some investments that would have been very bad. One particular company I did not listen to what insider sales should have told me and I paid the price.

Examples:

NVAX years ago I ignored that Gregory Glenn sold lots of shares during RSV vaccine trials. Hurt me biggie!

GPRO- came on my radar for some reason, perhaps from market spin. One of the big shots was selling off, perhaps it was Nick Woodman. I avoided and it helped me.

TSLA: Musk owned a ton, great boost of confidence, or evidence he was committed. Helped me biggie.

5. I remember RioCan used to get so much analyst coverage being Canada's second largest REIT.

Interesting enough, during the Covid crash, despite the rock-bottom prices that the shares were going for, not one single insider was buying into the fire-sale. Instead they were buying into their competitors instead!

As you probably have guessed, they slashed their own dividend too (shocker!) :sneaky: