Anyone using Sierra Chart with IB for day trading stocks?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Omer1235, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Omer1235

Omer1235

Hey guys,

I'm checking out Sierra Chart and would like to try it out, connecting it to my broker IB, but I was a bit put off by a long page on their website stating all the potential difficulties of retrieving data from IB.

As I understand you can pay SC for data, but if you want level 2 it has to be retrieved from IB, and you even need to type the name of the exchange you want to see the data for, every time you choose a stock (if I got it right?)

So doesn't it make SC kind of not useable for day trading stocks when used with IB? Maybe I'm getting this wrong, would love to hear others' opinions

Other platforms I'm interested in: Quantower, Ninjatrader, and Dastrader

Thank you very much

2. henry76

henry76

I do something similar and sierra is a very good charting software , they all have their idiosynchrasities but you can do somethings with sierra you can't with other's . I use eod data on stocks ( comes with std) and watch futures ( off interactive B.) and sierra fx data ( really good cos unlike metastock data ( also use) has the extra digit), I've used live stock data from sierra before and don't remember any probs but I think I paid extra for 500 symbols at time .

Omer1235 likes this.
  3. Omer1235

Omer1235

Hey thanks for your answer
    That's interesting and sounds like it's working well for you

What is your style of trading, do you day trade or do longer-term traders?

Do you use Level 2?

Thanks!

4. Mark2m

Mark2m

Ib user for 9+ years, Sierra for a few years. Just had issue with incorrect IB data, and correct EOD but incorrect 1 to 3 minute charts, also limited to 100 symbols with IB stream. Ended up using Sierra (bar chart stream + denali, past three weeks) documentation extremely poor, plus still have no idea how much I am paying. Since I trade 10 accounts now at least have 250 symbols, Drop me a line would love to work out details with Sierra, although some thing are so screwy and you can wade thru so much documentation, nothing is intuitive. Possibly get a few Sierra people, in the meantime with IB/Sierra if you do remain Control/Alt/ D will give you number of symbols on TWS and your limit.

Omer1235 likes this.
  5. Omer1235

Omer1235

Hey Mark thank you for your answer wow that sounds complicated would you still recommend someone who's new to this to deep dive into connecting Sierra charts with IB or maybe just go with another platform? Sierra charts features seem very impressive and for a competitive price but for me too the documentation seems not very intuitive

Maybe I'll just test other platforms first such as Quantower

Thanks again

6. henry76

henry76

If it was me I'd start with sierra , the basic package is very cheap and it's well established, probably has the answers if you look for them , though I'm now gonna check this quantower , though never heared of it before . Like you say probably have more probs with IB data.

7. Mark2m

Mark2m

Bottom line, went away from IB data, which is great in the sense that I don't need to get into my account. It has a lot of gyrations to get their (Sierra Download) plus Denali, but now it is worth it. My major issue with most programs is I need clarity, high pixel count, on the charts, plus i need floating windows since I do have 4 32" screens and monitoring in excess of 100 symbols. The major issue is the grass is always greener on the other side but its also the evaluation and the learning curve. As an FYI, evaluated TDAmeritrade/T&S and their charts is abysmal to say the least, but so is IB, Trade Station, Fidelity, etc..

8. easymon1

easymon1

9. Mark2m

Mark2m

I have i7 32Gb, Gygabyte Motherboard , 2 SSD's one hard drive, and two video cards (nothing special) and 3 Monitors LG, ASUS, Samsung 32" (3440X1440) and one (1920X1080) . I actually have been building my own computers for years . In the process of building a new one , this one is a few years old, but major issues finding a reasonable video card, so everything on hold. I have a major discount on CPU's, (daughter Intel engineer) and I firmly believe that you should always build your own, too much customization needed for off the shelf.
    At times its a bit slow, definitely need better video cards, i7 handles things well and you need 32GB high speed DDR4. Look at your task manager, for me Google Chrome @ 2 gigs, Sierra 200megs, IB X 2 1G each, Fidelity 700M, Telechart 2000 1 Gig, etc.. Next generation to i9 64GB, and a good video card.
    I have a lot of data which comes in from 10 seperate accounts, plus two trading platforms, etc.. I really don't see any kind of delays, in the past I always had issues mainly with Ninja, and Futures, but Sierra is handling things well and very pleased with TC2K.

10. henry76

henry76

Yeh I think sierra for charting is pretty good in the main .

#10     Apr 29, 2021