are people in the US starting to live like people in 3rd world countries

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Overnight

Overnight

There is a difference between having to buy a single dab of toothpaste on a street corner (India), and being able to buy a whole tube of toothpaste for a very discounted rate (USA). One is desperation, the other is frugality.

Hell, even if I was a millionaire, I would still shop for the best deals I can in the USA. That does not mean that I am a "third-world"-type person. It means I am frugal. Currently, the best deal one can get on toothpaste tubes in the USA is with AIM toothpaste. Anyone remember that brand? It is the same sodium fluoride toothpaste that Crest, Colgate, and all other major brands sell, but with a different name and color. And it's $1 at Rite-Aid. Same amount of fluoride toothpaste for few bux less. That is not third-world shopping, that is frugal, SMART shopping.

#11     Oct 7, 2018
    d08 and comagnum like this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

the first post on this thread was asking if it is a trend. the middle class working in private industry has been in a decline for years.
    thanks for the toothpaste tip. there is a big difference between being frugal and being cheap. alas that is for another time and another thread.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    #12     Oct 7, 2018
  3. JSOP

JSOP

Absolutely agree. Just because you have some money doesn't mean that you've earned the license to squander it on unnecessary items or items that have cost that just doesn't justify its benefits or even more ridiculous shop at places that charges you 10X more for exactly the same thing. If you can buy the same lettuce for 50 cents in a super mart, WHY should you go to an "upscale" boutique grocery store that charges you $2 for the same lettuce? There is this concept that if your wealth level is above certain amount, you must stop in certain stores and you should no longer stop at stores like Walmart or dollar marts. I have never agreed with that thinking that somehow as soon as you have had some money you must have an obligation to somehow waste money because you can afford to now. People think like that I feel stays poor forever. To me, it should be perfectly fine for Warren Buffett to shop at dollar marts just like the rest of us and should face no backlash.

#13     Oct 7, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld, d08 and Overnight like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Well, of course it is a trend. That is why Wal-Mart, Target etc. discount stores have been doing so well over the past 30-40 years. The USA peeps want to save money on their purchases. And maybe the fact that the middle-class working in private industry for years, and has been declining, is why they keep going to these discount stores? Save money where you can. Use coupons. Look for BOGO. All that stuff.

But still, that does not equate the US with being 3rd-world "dab of toothpaste on the street". USA shoppers are just being cost-conscious. That's my take on it. *shrugs*

#14     Oct 7, 2018
    drcha likes this.
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Hopefully he will keep the tax payer dollars going to the telecom co’s. They have a lot of expenses as they adjust to the abolishment of net neutrality.

#15     Oct 7, 2018
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Actually it does. That’s the whole point of capitalism.

#16     Oct 7, 2018
  7. JSOP

JSOP

That's not capitalism. Capitalism is about the accumulation of wealth. Having some money and then squandering it on unnecessary items or items that have cost that just doesn't justify its benefits or even more ridiculous by shopping at places that charges you 10X more for exactly the same thing is not going to allow you to accumulate capital. The whole concept is part materialism part stupidity.

#17     Oct 7, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld and Overnight like this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Hmm, JSOP...Do you mean, for example, buying an iPhone over an Android for 50% more money? That would be runaway consumerism.

Buying the Android phone over the iPhone would be the smart move when you just need to buy a smart phone to do the stuff smartphones need to do.

I like you JSOP. One day I may work out what "JSOP" stands for. (No hints!)

#18     Oct 7, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.
  9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

hey now the let's not bring facts into the argument. lol

#19     Oct 7, 2018
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

But I have earned the right to spend my money the way I see fit.

And what you consider agregious, I might not.

#20     Oct 7, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.