Arguments Against Flat or ConsumptionTax?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ktmexc20, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Hey Hans37 are you going to be willing to take-in one of the millions of manufacturing people put out of work by a national sales tax.

#21     Aug 2, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

Moot point. Our manufacturing base has already been outsourced to Asia.

#22     Aug 2, 2006
  3. 15% consumption tax

15% lt cap gains tax

Very simple....and very effective...

#23     Aug 2, 2006
  4. Moot Point.....Dude do you have any idea how many people in this country work in the auto and aircraft industries alone.

#24     Aug 2, 2006
  5. What, 15% consumption and 15% capital gains are you joking. Sure kill both manufacturing and investment in one shot.

#25     Aug 2, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

It's at least moot in the sense that the presumption such a tax would "kill the large ticket item industries".

Buyers could easily rationalize a $3,000 tax on some item when they *didn't* pay a $10,000 income tax.

#26     Aug 2, 2006
  7. Look if you buy a $30,000 car your tax will be more like $7000 that is an additional two years of payments for the average Joe. Believe me it would kill the RV, Auto, Aircraft, and Boat Industries and many others.

#27     Aug 2, 2006
  8. GTS

GTS

Sheesh, talk about talking a quote out of context, here is the full quote from smilingsynic

#28     Aug 2, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

You'll have to try harder if you want me to "believe you"... so far, I just think you're full of it.

#29     Aug 2, 2006
  10. The one problem I see is that it could kill our consumer driven GDP. I think the short term affect would be devasting untill ppl got used to it, like Americans living with real terrorism after 911. Hell I wish I would have bought that townhouse. The RE market tanked short term after 911, now in So Cal it would have been worth triple from low to extreme high. Think of all the grey market purchases on E Bay not being taxed, that market would explode!

#30     Aug 2, 2006