Bad entries - daytrading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by David's faith, Mar 16, 2022.

1. For the futures daytraders in here - would you mind sharing some of your days where you had the most (in numbers) bad entries in the last 2 years? I don't need to know the entries or details / pnl, just the date + instrument

Context: I want to do some advanced sim trading, the more difficult, the better. I am a swing trader, stepping up to daytrading slowly.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

A bad entry happens to everyone at some point.

Listen to this dufus analyze... it is clear he had no clue what he was doing..., what he called "support", broke. He did nothing about his trade.

... vid is 53secs

I day trade futures. "Bad entries" for me are about bad analysis. I'm human so it happens everyday. How many in a day is not important. It is about taking corrective action immediately. Yelling out "oh shit" is a clear indication the trade is (as opposed to might be) bad. Shouting "fuck", you are too late. btw, by default a "bad entry" doesn't mean a losing trade.

Spooz Top 2 likes this.
  3. rb7

rb7

Not sure that everyone's bad days are the same.
    A bad day for some may be a good day for other.
    You'll find your 'bad days' when you backtest.
    This is not hard.
    What's hard is to explain why these days were bad for your system and how to identify them in advance.

David's faith likes this.
  4. speedo

speedo

A skilled, disciplined trader with a solid well tested trade plan shouldn't have "bad entries". EVERY trader has entries that result in a loss...that's trading.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  5. spooz

spooz

Do you mean bad fills; or you thought it was going down and it went up?

6. Trades that ended in a loss, so the latter.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Speedo is correct. If you have a plan and follow it, there are no bad entries.

One needs to understand day trading is not like swing trading. It is a matter of quantity of trades and percentages. Algo is this X 10,000.

Yesterday was a good example. Following the plan, had lots of losses, but had way more wins than normal.

MACD and David's faith like this.
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

If the plan triggered, the trade is taken. I agree... it is NOT a bad entry, even if outcome is loss .

But without an agreed upon definition of "bad entry" and the outcome of such a thing, it's a semantical discussion.

9. speedo

speedo

I've heard variations of this question over the years. The implied question whether admitted to or even recognized is "how can I avoid losses...how do I avoid risk". There can be no trading success without managing fear.

10. You all are totally right. I must ask this question for discretionary-only traders.

#10     Mar 16, 2022