Being Proud of Your Race Doesn’t Make Sense

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FortuneTeller, Dec 3, 2021.

1. I agree with the author of this article.

Being Proud of Your Race Doesn’t Make Sense | by Alex the Younger | Student Voices (mystudentvoices.com)

I was about 10 years old when the idea of race affected me and my fellow peers. Most kids recite the beliefs of their parents at this age, saying things like “I’m proud to be black,” “I’m proud to be white,” “I’m proud to be Hispanic.” It seemed to make sense, why wouldn’t you be proud of something you are? You’re supposed to own yourself and embrace what you are, or at least that’s what everyone says you should do.

But I was riding in the car one day with my Dad and somehow, the subject of race came up. I told my Dad, “I’m proud to be white.” He looked at me sternly and said, “why?” I was surprised to hear this response; I figured this was just something you were supposed to embrace. Regardless, being the egotist that all kids are, I demanded to be right. I think I tried defending myself along the lines of, “White people have done great things, and it’s who I am. You should be proud too!”

“But son, why are you proud of something you did nothing to achieve? You’re not proud of having two arms, you’re not proud that you have blue eyes, why are you proud of being white? Literally, the only thing you had to achieve was birth, and you didn’t have a choice in that matter. You can only be proud of the things that you have worked to achieve.”

I remember this not making sense as a kid. Not because what he was saying didn’t make sense, but how could all of these people, even adults, be wrong? Seemingly everyone was proud of their heritage, and in school, we read book after book which advocated this belief of honoring your heritage. But it all makes sense now; large groups of people can (and often are), very egotistical.

The general excuse for racial pride is that you can, and should, be proud of your ancestors achievements. But just think about how disingenuous it is to expect credit for the achievements of others. You’re taking your ancestor’s success, or lacktherof, and passing it off as your own in aim of recognition. This is a problem. People want to be respected because they were born a certain way, not because they’re actually respectable. What you’re subtly saying is that you have a high opinion of yourself, or even believe yourself superior in some way, just because of your genetic traits. That’s literally what pride means, a high or inordinate opinion of one’s own dignity, importance, merit,or superiority.

This is the major problem with identity politics. It becomes harder and harder to judge people as individuals, with their own individual circumstances. People want to claim superiority or merit simply because they belong to a specific group, and more specifically, a group they did nothing to become a part of. This can only help to perpetuate racism.

This is not to say that you cannot appreciate your culture or heritage, just like you can appreciate the beauty of nature. Nature is beautiful because of its complexity, its story and its seeming uniqueness, as being the only planet like this in the cosmos. I think that’s the best way to look at it. But we must remember that words mean things; we should not mix up the feeling of appreciation with the feeling of pride. One means to be grateful. The other: recognition and superiority.

2. Nobert

Nobert

Racism is learned, not born with :

Tony Stark and FortuneTeller like this.
  3. I agree with your statement. Cute videos you posted. :cool:

Nobert likes this.
  4. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

From the racist who was banned from ET for a week for calling black people "smelly negros"

5. Overnight

Overnight

DOH!

6. Duh? :D