best books you've read on trading

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Rocko1, Oct 5, 2006.

1. If you're nowhere, I'd suggest IBD, William O'Neil, Nice system for t/a charts and fundamentals. The canslim method can be a jump start into any direction, style, you care to trade.

#51     Jul 13, 2009
  2. MINTED

MINTED

Hi Folks.....and again thanks.

Nutmeg....do you mean this
    The Investor's Business Daily Almanac 1992?

#52     Jul 13, 2009
  3. Most trading books out there are dog shit. Even those that are highly regarded often miss the point. There are parts in Dr. Alexander Elder's books that make me wonder whether he ever placed a single trade.

Guess how the authors are making their money: BUY SELLING BOOKS AND NOT BY TRADING!

#53     Jul 13, 2009
    Darc likes this.
  4. #54     Jul 13, 2009
  5. MINTED

MINTED

You know what....I am beginning to think you're right.
    After all, if these guys were such Gurus, why would they want to share? Where do they get the time to write a book / books.

My guess is the Illuminati, want us to trade...and lose.

I have not even picked up a book yet, just been getting opinions etc, but I think I would be better studying the form of a horse for a few weeks, then place a bet.....or just slap down $100 on red or black at a roulette wheel?

HOW did "traders" earn when there were NO computers, OR Trading platforms etc etc.....BY good old fashioned "mechanical" studies......or maybe they were just lucky ??

Who the hell knows.....but I am going to ditch all these "fancy" notions, and just try to learn the mechanical methods......like Ari Fisters method, or the 4 week rule of thumb method

#55     Jul 13, 2009
  6. Says you. Thanks for proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ill show you a simple automated system that works, but it will cost you $3 million up front for me to reveal it to you.

#56     Jul 13, 2009
  7. MINTED

MINTED

Are you responding to my post dragon?

#57     Jul 13, 2009
  8. mokwit

mokwit

This summary on Amazon makes some good points:

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Profe...sr_1_4_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Funny how some of the best books on trading aren't about trading - another good non trading book is Phillips Poker book (summarised by someone on ET so should be locateable via 'search' function). Trading is probablities and position management (psychology) for me.

Most (but by no means all) modern books are utter rubbish IMHO. The ones that get published are the ones that the publisher recognises as fitting a profile that will move it off the shelves. That is its function, to sell. Simple system to follow is a favourite because that is what people are looking for - not unreasonably - it works for most things e.g. , if you follow the same formulas as engineers you can build a bridge.

The motive for publishing was apparently no different 100 years ago but I find the best books date from the period 1880-1934, with some good ones from the 50's and '60's. The common demoniator?, they were written before computerised technical indicators. The ones that were reprinted nearly all fell out of print again because they did not have mass appeal - pearls before swine.

#58     Jul 13, 2009
  9. MINTED

MINTED

OK.....so IYHO....what modern books on trading are good...

#59     Jul 13, 2009
  10. #60     Jul 13, 2009