Best IB order type for large day-trading orders

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by max21ge, Mar 5, 2022.

1. max21ge

max21ge

Hi,

I run automated day-trading strategies through API and so far I've used plain market orders and it has worked pretty well. I'm trading max north of 8,000 shares planning to go up to 40,000 shares and I'm worried I'll start to have a larger market impact. I trade top gainers and losers for the day and large caps and index ETFs. Wondering which algo IB order would be the most suitable? Same question for stop-loss orders?

thanks!

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

You could add a few cents to a limit order in code.

max21ge likes this.
  3. max21ge

max21ge

thanks that could work but it has some caveat as i might want to change it based on price, volume, spread, time of day which I would need to code. I've discovered so many IB algo order types including Fox River, CSFB, Jefferies etc...and wondering if anyone has experience with them for large day-trading orders?

DoctorProfits likes this.
  4. DoctorProfits and max21ge like this.
  5. IMO IB's adaptive algos are really good and probably the only thing they do where I didn't immediately go WTF.

max21ge likes this.
  6. Adaptive and midpoint are good, but I would look to vwap over 1-15 min depending on your timeframe.

max21ge likes this.
  7. ZBZB

ZBZB

Then go market if not fully filled.

max21ge likes this.
  8. max21ge

max21ge

thanks all do any of you have experienced a certain threshold (volume, size, last, etc...) where an adaptive order leads to some big differences vs. a plain market order?