Best time to exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by traderob, Oct 21, 2019.

1. traderob

traderob

https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-he...-to-exercise-to-burn-more-fat-20191020-h1j09p
    New research reveals the best time to exercise to burn more fat
    • CLAIRE HAYHURST
    Oct 21 2019 at 4:51 PM Exercising before breakfast leads to greater weigh loss, new research shows. Photo: Supplied
    Exercising before eating breakfast burns more fat and improves how the body responds to insulin, new research reveals.

Scientists at the universities of Bath and Birmingham found that changing the time when people eat and exercise can help control their blood sugar levels.

[​IMG]
    Do some exercise before you tuck into your smashed avocado if you want to lose weight. Photo: Chris Hopkins
    The six-week study involved 30 men classified as obese or overweight who were split into two intervention groups - one that ate breakfast before exercise and one after - as well as a control group.

Those who exercised before breakfast burned double the amount of fat than the group that did so after eating, the research found.

Scientists say the increased fat use is mainly due to lower insulin levels during exercise when people have fasted overnight, meaning they can use more of the fat in their fat tissue and muscles as fuel.

The study was published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

"Our results suggest that changing the timing of when you eat in relation to when you exercise can bring about profound and positive changes to your overall health," Dr Javier Gonzalez, of the Department for Health at the University of Bath, said.

"We found that the men in the study who exercised before breakfast burned double the amount of fat than the group who exercised after.

"Importantly, whilst this didn't have any effect on weight loss, it did dramatically improve their overall health.

"The group who exercised before breakfast increased their ability to respond to insulin, which is all the more remarkable given that both exercise groups lost a similar amount of weight and both gained a similar amount of fitness.

"The only difference was the timing of the food intake."

Over the six weeks, scientists found that muscles in the group who exercised before eating were more responsive to insulin than those who exercised after.

The two groups performed identical training sessions and had matched food intake.

Muscles in those who exercised before breakfast also showed greater increases in key proteins, specifically those involved in transporting glucose from the bloodstream to the muscles.

Dr Gareth Wallis, of the University of Birmingham, said the research suggests that "performing exercise in the overnight-fasted state" can increase the health benefits of exercise for individuals, "without changing the intensity, duration or perception of their effort".

"We now need to explore the longer-term effects of this type of exercise and whether women benefit in the same way as men."

AAP

Bugenhagen likes this.
  2. I don’t disagree, but I would suggest you ensure you do not suffer from morning hypertension before you embark on this course.

I did a check of BP shortly after waking up and was quite staggered by the numbers, as in ridiculously high.

I had wanted to move my exercise to morning so that I could get it over and done with, evening I just have too much going on. If I were to do so, I would be at risk of heart attack or stroke, so I’m stuck with evenings.

Many articles out there, this is just one.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.110.157149

Trader13 and traderob like this.
  3. Fasted workouts are not a good long term solution, no more than some unsustainable crash diet is. Continue on that path and you end up weaker, not stronger, and in the end less heathy. At best it's a program of diminishing returns, at worst it's disastrous to your overall health.

4. There was a period during which I worked out early on Saturday mornings in addition to 2 afternoon workouts during the week. It felt good to have the workout under my belt for the remainder of the day, but I found that intensity was a bit harder to harness in the mornings. I find my late afternoon workouts to be more intense. Even so, I try not to eat 3, and preferably 4, hours before a workout.

5. CleverBoy

CleverBoy

Interesting study. Sport really deals on healthy.

6. Actually finding the best time has some credibility to it. I find 2-3 hours after eating, either breakfast or lunch. Anything later than 3-4 PM and I don't feel like it, more mentally than physically, and I'm not much of an early morning person for doing hard physical activity. Between 9am and 2pm are my best times.

7. Andrew_87

Andrew_87

For me the best time is in the morning. That's the best time when the body can benefit the maximum out of exercising.

8. LacesOut

LacesOut

What makes you say that?

My eating window is 1:30pm-8:30pm
    I am at the gym around 12pm...and I work out at the end of a 16 hour fast...
    I have only one cup of coffee with a splash of half n half...and a shitload of water between 8am-12pm...
    I have a ton of energy when the workout is about halfway through...almost like my 2nd wind comes at about the midway point of my workout...I'm gassed at the beginning, and right at the end...

My results over the last year have been weight maintenance (some minor declines, like 6-8lbs) and muscle building...
    my cholesterol levels (LDL and HDL) and TriG levels all fell...but only the TriG level fall was significant.
    I don't lose much weight because I eat too much late in the evening..but that's another story...

9. Personal experience, it was a disaster for me. Also, I'd ask, how intense are your workouts? At the end of mine I could barely walk to my car, so yes, that played a role. Still, I have more energy when working out a couple hours after a small, but nourishing meal, and I've been able to see a small but steady weight loss over the past year. Fuel, the right kind of fuel, clean fuel is a must to keep the engine strong over the long haul.

10. LacesOut

LacesOut

2-3 times a week I do a hardcore 45 minute CrossFit- type class. I’ll do a challenging spin class once a week. Once a week I’ll do hot yoga. Lift weights once or twice a week. This is my current routine. yes walking to the car is hard if the workout was hard.

#10     Nov 1, 2019