Better off as a plumber?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 18, 2011.

Is the value of an education reaching "not worth it" levels?

1. Yes. It is one big ego trip and many jobs pay well with minimal education.

61 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No. Even at current costs it is still worth it many times over.

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I don't know.

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. I don't care.

20 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Try to become a plumber who can hold a sign out to the public and have a real business (rather than posting to do work on craigs list.. plenty of people can fix/try to fix your pipes who are not part of the profession). It is a regulated profession, that does not mean people do not work under the table.

It is not just plumbers. Property surveyors, electricians, etc all have little cartels, just like the professional jobs: lawyers, Doctors, dentists, etc.

#21     Mar 18, 2011
  2. Redneck

Redneck

In case no one has ever shared this

It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm the suspicion

Farmer needs minimal education – really

Off the top of my head

Mechanic
    Welder
    Carpenter
    Heavy equipment operator
    Agriculturalist
    Horticulturist
    Veterinarian
    Chemist
    Fabricator
    Weatherman
    Futures hedger
    Business owner
    Tax Law
    And a plumber

Along with about 10 dozen other areas of specialization they need a working knowledge of

Next time you enjoy a meal make sure to Thank an ignorant Farmer

eta; Food could be the one thing that pulls the US out of this slump, and keeps us the world leader – No other country has the resources to supply the rest of the world the food it desperately needs

Dip Shit

RN

#22     Mar 18, 2011
  3. REDNECK: SPOT ON

Some of the wealthiest people I know in Texas are Ranchers/Farmers.

They are beyond smart and their knowledge about many issues blow away the Ass Clowns who pretend to be "Players" on this site.

AM has a huge AGI program as well. I was up at Texas AM for a Few sit ins on Land Classes. A lot of Engineering and Math.

So, your are SPOT ON. How many scumbag Liberals in this country Ranch or Farm? Not many, for a reason.

#23     Mar 18, 2011
  4. are you saying some plumbers come to do the job for free just so they can have you as a good reference/testimonial?

#24     Mar 18, 2011
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Some of my best friends are Aggies – but I don’t hold it against them:D

RN

#25     Mar 18, 2011
  6. Farming is one of the most subsidized sectors there are.

People bitch about bankers receiving a bail out every couple of decades but apparantly have no problem with stuffing up the farming industry on a perpetual basis.

Anyway, given the hard work, the enourmous investments they have to make, the debts they have to get in to and the uncertainty surounding their day to day existence I for one do not envy them at all really but good for them if they are happy.

#26     Mar 18, 2011
  7. Hopefully they weren't still cleaning teeth while learning the plumbing trade.:eek:

#27     Mar 18, 2011
  8. jd7419

jd7419

They don't work for peanuts here in Long island, I know 3 plumbers who live in Dix hills, average home about 800,000. I recently had a plumber run a water line for my new fridge, nice guy but a little crazy. He told me had almost got a phd in biology but he couldn't justify it and finally went into his fathers plumbing business. He told me he makes big money, I believe it considering he charged me $150 to run the water line in a half hour. That is cheap for where I live most of the time they get $200 to do anything here.

#28     Mar 18, 2011
  9. fanews

fanews

It's a lot easier to become a plumber than a doctor or get phd. in physics.

With plumbing it's like an auto -mechanic

most people don't have the brains to get a phd. in physics..

any moron can be plumber or car jockey.

plumbing requires more skill and brains than being a trader.

A trader only needs high school 'education'.

#29     Mar 18, 2011
  10. I've done both, trade and the trades, never once did my elbow or knee hurt playing a gap, never once did I bag $450 in my first half hour in construction. Never once did I calulate my true cost of mileage walking over to my monitors etc etc

#30     Mar 18, 2011