Biggest day ever

Discussion in 'Trading' started by patbateman, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I won't even bother posting my small ass numbers (+3k, -1K - okay i couldn't resist). Whatever, I go home pissed everyday regardless - I'm always thinking I could've made more or lost less.

#21     Sep 13, 2005
  2. everyone loves to respond to this one!

my best one was short host america. you know where that one went. the only thing annoying was having my fund frozen for ~ a month.

#22     Sep 13, 2005
  3. "In confessions of a winning poker player Jack King said few players recall big pots they have won strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career."

Seems to apply quite well for this thread...

I don't have huge up and down days (at least not as of yet), I'm always hedged and protected from that type of thing....

#23     Sep 13, 2005
  4. I'm small potateos to you big hitters!

In my personal account.

Biggest = 3000
    Worst= 2000

Honestly I can't believe the numbers you guys are throwing around in here!

:cool:

#24     Sep 13, 2005
  5. Gotta remember most of these were during the 99-01 frenzy. 50 point spooz moves werent that crazy and there would be dozens of stocks with big double digit moves one way or another. Nasdaq up or down 200? No big deal.

Obviously account size is a big factor also, at the peak i had access to over 12 mill.

#25     Sep 13, 2005
  6. That was also my worst day ever.......the "black swan" got me. Have never been that heavy on one side of the market since then.

I'm guessing you must have been on the opposite of some of my trades. You owe me some beers.

:p

#26     Sep 13, 2005
  7. Yeah that was a f*cked up day. My friend next to me lost almost what I made. We didnt say a word to each other as it was happening, we each knew the drill. Crazy times and true professionals around me, no crying or victory dances allowed.

#27     Sep 13, 2005
  8. I remember that day like it was yesterday, i remember some stock flipped up so much that the ask disappeared for a few seconds (for example i recall this happened on ITWO; JDSU and many others).....

#28     Sep 13, 2005
  9. no. my best day was +15k or and worst, -11. but I'll bet you're like me: just grind 'em up day in and day out. I have an incredible - really incredible -- equity curve.

but i used to work with a guy who would be up 100k one day, down 100k the next. At the end of the year, we had grossed about the same and I had relatively NO equity swings.

I saw this guy drop 100k in 15 minutes or so on the phone.com / software.com merger scam.

This guy's stomach is made of cast iron -- I always admired his self control and his aggressiveness -- the ease with which he'd put on a huge position and sit with it. I'd drive my order entry guy nuts doing a thousand shares of a dozen different stocks twenty or more times a day... this other guy would just calmly instruct the order entry clerk (five times the size) as if he was asking him to walk down the hall when he wasn't busy and fetch the morning paper.

he was cool as a cucumber, whether up 100 or down 100. If you're reading, bud, you know who you are. time for you start swinging for the fences again.

#29     Sep 13, 2005
  10. Best day daytrading stocks: $147,000.00

One of those days in '99 when the market
    was crushed and then bounced back huge.

Worst day daytrading stocks: -$50,000.00

I was bottom fishing (huge mistake) in
    PDLI. I bought 2000 shares, and very
    quickly found myself down about 25
    points in the stock.

I've had much better and worse days
    recently on a long term position I'm holding, but I don't really consider this
    position a trade.

#30     Sep 13, 2005