Bravado Culture in Trading

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Rapunzel, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Rapunzel

Rapunzel

Greetings folks.

Now I'm probably guilty of this myself from time to time and some of the posts I made early inn my trading career are on reflection very cringe worthy, but what is it about this game that brings out a certain bravado know-it-all-ism culture and attitude in people.

2. Because people think that in the market you need to know what is going to happen but you don't really.

murray t turtle and KCalhoun like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

and greetsn fok Repunzelz.

Justn bravadoly thrown your long hairz down froma high towel anda you'n know-it-all-ism.

how much type errer were there?

for goodness sake, use GRAMMARLY, SPELL CHECK, and check and check and check for error !!!
    alternately don't create a new thread. then there is zero typo error !!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  4. Millionaire

Millionaire

[​IMG]
    YOLO and going all in seems to be more of a thing on reddit.

You don't get much of that on ET.

smallfil likes this.
  5. mikeriley

mikeriley

It's called Human Nature.

When a trader is a novice, their ignorance is a level of insecurity and low self-esteem.
    Continued loss and frustration builds animosity & hurt feelings of the frightened inner child of ego.

This inner conflict continues until consistent success is attained.
    At which point a trader is influenced to share their inner feelings of success
    with their outer world.

To some extent, everyone deals with this.

Rapunzel likes this.
  6. Pelt

Pelt

Ego.

The reality is that almost NONE OF US are professional traders. If I throw a rock at anyone on this forum, there is probably a 99.99% chance that the person I hit, is not a professional trader.

I am not a professional trader. I will say this if asked. If you ask most people on this forum, what would their answer be?

Would they flat out admit it, would the lie... would they deflect?

I think we all pretend we know what we are talking about, so that we don't get dismissed.
    Imagine if every discussion we entered, the person we are talking to, could just ask, "Are you a professional trader?"

If you say "NO," the person could just say, "You're not even a full time trader, who cares what you think?"

If you ask someone what they do for a living, most people would just tell you flat out(unless they are ashamed of what they do). If you ask someone on the forum if they are a pro-trader, they'll either deflect, lie or ignore the question.

I think its all ego, just my opinion of course.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Rapunzel

Rapunzel

Sounds like wise words.

8. Millionaire

Millionaire

Really?

The scammers maybe.

But most people here will readily admit they don't trade full time.

It is not a requirement anyway unless you need to watch the market for several hours per day.

smallfil likes this.
  9. Pelt

Pelt

That's fair. I could be relying on my limited sample size of noticing people deflect from the question over the years.

Small clarification, but when I refer to "full time," I'm not referring to the amount of time the spent watching the markets, I'm just referring to someone who's full income is reliant on their trading, irrespective of how much time they look at the markets.

10. Millionaire

Millionaire

There is definitely deflection regarding PnL because majority are not profitable and will not admit it. Besides profitability is always just around the corner..

#10     Jun 12, 2022