Buying a boat

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by yabz, Oct 28, 2021.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

I've been out there when its bad and we had to pretty much leave during the night, not recommended. Very hard to maneuver through the mangroves at 3 am lol. The best is to go when its cold like in the 50's or 60's then you get almost zero mosquitos. like a cold front, because 50's is not typical Florida weather. 50's last only until lets say noon and then hot again lol.

Sig you'd love it out there and its great fishing. You can do the everglades water way which is like 90 miles from flamingo park ( where i launch) to the west cost I forgot the name of the exit area. you can camp out in the chickies or on the bay side where there is beach area to camp on.

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/flamdirections.htm

#11     Nov 2, 2021
  2. Sig

Sig

Yeah, I was planning to do the whole Everglades City to Flamingo inside trip on the chickies by kayak one winter after I semi-retire/go on sabbatical. I'm originally from Alaska so I like to think I can handle mosquitos, but I have spoken to a couple people who have impressed on me that I have no idea how bad they can be. I got the same advice from them, basically watch the weather and scoot down when a couple cold fronts are coming through. I may do a single overnight first to make sure I am prepared when I do the whole trip.

#12     Nov 2, 2021
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

that would be a great trip if you can get to it. Good luck, send pictures lol.

#13     Nov 2, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

This is all you need...
    deet.JPG

Notice the DEET level? Cover yourself with a thin layer of that, and no problemo.

It used to be 99%, but they dropped it a tad. Cheep bastards, lol!

#14     Nov 2, 2021
  5. Sig

Sig

I've been using this for the past couple years, similar DEET levels.
    upload_2021-11-2_18-0-56.png

It makes my skin warm when I put it on and may be impacting my ability to have children but I don't want any more anyway so that's OK:D The only insect I've found that completely ignores it are the biting black flies on the Delaware River and ocean side of the Delmarva Peninsula. Those bastards can fly faster than my sailboat can sail so they'll stick with you for hours, and you could spray them with 100% DEET and they would just lick it off for desert after they proceed to take a couple chunks out of you.

#15     Nov 2, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

That's why you carry an extra case of emergency flares with you. They cannot survive fire.

#16     Nov 2, 2021
  7. Sig

Sig

Ha! My son wanted to do the wd-40 flame thrower on them but I ixnayed that on multiple grounds!

#17     Nov 2, 2021
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Aside from a make-shift flamethrower on a boat being a generally bad idea, the only other real reason is because a WD-40 flame will leave an oily residue on the fiberglass hull. Pain in the butt to clean up.

#18     Nov 2, 2021
  9. yes, I enjoy boating. Lots of choice out there though. Some more specifics on requirements would be good

#19     Nov 2, 2021
  10. mlawson71

mlawson71

I confess I have only rarely gotten on boats - I get sea sickness at the drop of a hat.

#20     Nov 30, 2021