Cathy Woods - ARK Investment

Discussion in 'Trading' started by brass_trader, Oct 9, 2021.

1. I admire Cathy Woods dont get me wrong. However, I noticed she has been buying a tremendous amount of stock in TDOC, ZM, SKLZ, HOOD, PATH. All of these stocks are trading near 52 week lows.
    She has been betting heavy and buying these stocks all the way down. These high valuation speculative stocks can work very well in a bull market but her purchases seem questionable at best. Then again, what do I know.

2. traider

traider

Given her fund size it is prudent to average down. Don't forget she is always pumping her own stocks on TV so fundamentals are only part of the equation

d08 and murray t turtle like this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

ARKK is a momentum play and since mid Feb the momentum has been down while the overall major indices have been up.

"The bloom is off the rose".

4. You have to wonder how many more losses they can sustain..

5. thats true. However, some of those positions may never recover. I dont wish her any ill will and hope she does ok but those positions as well as some others are deep under water. She seems very smart though.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. %%
    Common rose pattern, Suntrader;
    they cycle also/fall is actually a better planting season than spring.
    InVestment MAGA zine did an article on her/ [fund family]still much, much better than average.
    SPY, one of the better benchmarks;
    has underperformed DDM, ytd..............................................................................
    Me i made a profit + cut a loss on HOOD, but made more on UDOW + related, longer term.
    ACTUALLY long term DOW\ tends to underperform SPY.......................................................................................................

johnarb likes this.
  7. I agree but like everything else it's cyclical! One minute everything David Einhorn touched was gold and now not so much. Ackman, took a hit with HLF that he road for years and lets not forgot his $4B loss in Valeant. Last year, he made a few billion hedging that market swoon and looks like a genius again. She has balls of steel...short calls DNA, a huge fraud, and she loaded up so it bounced from $8's and $9's to over $10. I don't see TDOC or ZM going anywhere but certainly will be awhile before new highs coming. I still remember FB IPO at $38 only to fall to $10 and we know what it has done since. She just has to convince investors to give her time! Her analysts are Ph.Ds in their respective fields...AI, robotics etc.

8. VicBee

VicBee

I followed her down the SKLZ hole... o_O

9. I think DNA will turn out to be a winner in the long term.
    It’s not a fraud.

Superstar2317 likes this.
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

And genius never fail. Oh wait, wrong book title...

#10     Oct 9, 2021
    Superstar2317 likes this.