Chicago just approved one of the US's largest basic-income pilots: $500 monthly payments for 5,000 p

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ipatent, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Thinking a bit more, we know that after a certain points, some adults are just beyond help. If we can somehow ensure that the kids in that environment can have a stable financial situation without getting daddy government involved too much, I think that would be great for the kids.

I think it would have changed my life.

#51     Nov 19, 2021
  2. ipatent

ipatent

3. ipatent

ipatent

The Year Basic Income Programs Went Mainstream

At least 20 guaranteed income pilots have launched in cities and counties across the U.S. since 2018, and more than 5,400 families and individuals have started receiving between $300 and $1,000 a month, according to a Bloomberg CityLab analysis. If all these programs complete their pilot periods as planned, they’ll have given out at least $35 million.....

Some are designed as randomized controlled trials, where researchers track outcomes for both control and recipient groups. Others are experimenting with different payment methods and periods: Compton compensates families between $300 and $600, on a sliding scale based on their size; Newark, New Jersey, which is starting its second phase this month, is paying half its participants $250 on a bi-weekly basis, and the other half twice a year, in two $3,000 installments.

Time ranges vary, with San Francisco’s $1,000-a-month for 130 artists lasting 6 months, while Hudson, New York, is paying a random selection of 25 low-income residents $500 a month for 5 years.

And unlike a universal program, which would include everyone, regardless of class, many of these guaranteed income pilots are laser-focused on specific communities that have experienced historic disinvestment, or have been most impacted by Covid, such as Black mothers and fathers, artists and low-income families. Other programs still in their design phase will target unhoused youth and foster youth.

#53     Dec 28, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

So, any results yet?

#54     Dec 28, 2021
  5. ipatent

ipatent

Sure, 35 million dollars is missing.

#55     Dec 29, 2021
    mac likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Are you saying the states or cities received the money from the government and that it never reached the people in need ?

Do you have a link to the story about the missing 35 million dollars ?

wrbtrader

#56     Jan 6, 2022
  7. ipatent

ipatent

The money apparently reached the people in the pilot program. It would be interesting to know how they were selected over everyone else who could have used the money.

It is 'missing' from Chicago's budget, which is in bad shape anyway, as was posted above.

#57     Jan 6, 2022
  8. Sig

Sig

I'm curious about the exact nature of this 'missing'? I couldn't find any reference to it in a google search, do you have any links?

#58     Jan 6, 2022
    wrbtrader likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Chicago has been a corrupt city since the speakeasy years of 1920s (Capone years / gangsters, moonshine, and guns). Yet, if money aimed for Chicago budge that was suppose to be given to its residents...

I'm curious to the story that the budget never received the money or received the money but it disappeared (as in missing)...

It would be a big news story in Chicago as all the other corruption stories since the 1920s.

It's the reason why I asked for a specific link to the story.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    #59     Jan 6, 2022
  10. ipatent

ipatent

It was a pilot program run and funded by the city of Chicago.

#60     Jan 6, 2022