Chrome and Edge urgent security update

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Pekelo, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

2. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

Don't have to worry about this with Brave browser. Brave browser also blocks ads and takes them away from youtube.

If you're using anything else you are doing it wrong.

GrowleyMonster and NoahA like this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

4. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

5. virtusa

virtusa

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  6. themickey

themickey

What's the problem you see with chromebook?

7. virtusa

virtusa

I think that the windows version for Chromebook is not the full original windows version for pc and laptop. My daughter has sometimes problems too with functions that don't work on her Chromebook, but do work on a pc.

8. themickey

themickey

Aaaah right. I run 3 chromebooks (one is a Pixelbook) but they have no Windows software associations.
    The limitations I've found is (1) limited on which printers you can connect. (2) limited, no public wifi possible (3) limited with which apps you can load (4) limited to can't load many programs which you could on Windows, eg, can't load Amibroker.
    (5) Not many external ports, only two C ports, but I use a USB- C Adapter to get around that, not cheap though, cost me $80 each. I can run another monitor off that.

But on security issues, have not had any problems, no antivirus programs are required.
    Very fast boot ups, basically instantly. I can flip the laptop lid open and be running in a couple of seconds.
    Very seldom had a crash, once only if I recall.
    Another advantage, not getting ripped off by MS ripoff fees to use Office.
    Spreadsheets and Word are free, I havent had to buy any software.
    Using Cloud service is only about $3 every 2 months I think it is off my memory.

Also no noise running the laptops, no fans, so just silent and they don't run hot to touch.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

This shouldn't really be a problem... Have you traveled with your Chromebook extensively?

"Chromebooks are known for experiencing connectivity issues in hotels, but the fix is usually just a quick Wi-Fi reload and device restart. Of course, you should restart the router, just in case. If you're experiencing the captive portal issue, a browser extension might be the solution."

"The captive portal is a login page that certain firewalls use to login to a new WiFi for the first time. If you are having issues getting to this login page on the chromebook you can try to access the page http://neverssl.com/ in the chrome browser."

10. themickey

themickey

No.
    Havent been away on a road trip for a good couple years, lot to do with corona virus travel restrictions plus I gotta see doctor every now and again because they're zapping & cutting out some not major (yet) cancer.

#10     Mar 29, 2022