Costs of trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Fonz, May 16, 2017.

1. So if you would not have had trading costs for day trading your day trading profits would have been 15% higher? This is a substantial impact. Are you sure you can't find ways to reduce those costs?
    What about the other 60% of your trading costs? Do those have a similarly large impact on the profit of the swing trading?

#11     May 17, 2017
  2. Fonz

Fonz

This is a big impact and it is why I am trying to find ways to reduce my day trading costs. So far, I try to eliminate the "predictable bad days" and don't trade those days and now I am looking for a very low commission broker on options.
    Regarding the rest of the costs, they are actually already very low, specially the broker interest rate, regarding of how I trade.

#12     May 17, 2017
  3. Besides commission for options and stock is the cost you pay for market data number three on your list of costs. No matter whether you will have successful trades or bad trades you have to pay this. A careful review here could save you some.
    Those professional market data costs are in a completely different league from what I have to pay as non-pro.

#13     May 17, 2017
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

One of the smartest sorts of threads I've seen started yet, in 2017. More later.....

#14     May 17, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  5. Fonz

Fonz

I created an LLC to segregate my short term trading activities and being a pro for the IRS. That way, wash sales don't apply (big deal for my swing trades) and in case of a big yearly loss (we never know for sure) I can deduct all of them, not just $3,000 per year. I can deduct a lot of business costs, like professional market data.
    The only way I can reduce the market data costs is to get rid of Tradestation. unfortunately I really need them for the platforms, and having my capital into 2 or 3 different brokers make me feel better.

#15     May 17, 2017
  6. Handle123

Handle123

I lean on the loss of income to try to do better in another line of work as a expensive that has to be made up in new line of work, you are now having Health insurance, dental insurance you have to pay, loss of matching 401k, profit sharing, short/long term disabilities, bonuses not received and not even counting one's salary, so from the get go, you have more expenses you have to pay each month and it not different than data.

#16     May 17, 2017
    comagnum likes this.
  7. Sorry, I know what opportunity "cost" is, but I combined two related ideas into the same post--but point stands. I don't see how any of that factors into my decision making as a trader.

#17     May 17, 2017
  8. It's important in making the biggest decision of all - is it worth trading?

GAT

#18     May 17, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. My existential doubt is sufficient without piling on imaginary costs.

#19     May 17, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

That's interesting GAT. For example in 2014, I started trading with around 200000$. At the end of the year, the commissions + exchange fees totaled 67000$. I used X trader and X trader pro and had a minimum monthly activity fee of 1000 GBP at Marex. My fixed costs were around 1500 $ per month, so my total trading costs were around 85 K$ =42.5% of account ...LOL

#20     May 17, 2017
    globalarbtrader likes this.