CoVID-19 Vaccine!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tommcginnis, Feb 24, 2020.

1. d08

d08

Cancer is quite different in almost every way. Coronavirus is a virus after all and vaccinating for a virus has been done, for a cancer though...

#11     Feb 24, 2020
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Long GILD calls.

#12     Feb 25, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

If the headline hit tomorrow, and gold fell 5% in a day, you'd certainly have made friends among all the shorts -- if that was your goal. :wtf::confused::(

#13     Feb 25, 2020
  4. ironchef

ironchef

No. I have been long GILD calls since mid January.

#14     Feb 25, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Argh! I did not recognize Gilead Sciences GILD -- too much index time -- I was thinking GLD. :confused:

Anyway, nice call on viru-sciences. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(Still, I might have my hand on the mouse, would the headline drop and GILD not be mentioned...!) ;)

#15     Feb 25, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  6. What? You don't want to be a vampire?

#16     Feb 25, 2020
  7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Never considered vampire always thought zombie but yeah makes more sense.

#17     Feb 25, 2020
  8. ktm

ktm

Cancer is not ONE THING. It's more than 100 separate diseases generically categorized for easy understanding by the public. The general commonality is that at the cellular level, a single cell begins to grow in an abnormal way and then proliferates. If this happens in the brain, it's very different from the pancreas or the prostate as these are different types of cells experiencing different mutations for different reasons in different individuals.

Glioblastoma has been "cured" in about 15% of the affected population that has certain genetic markers. Other specific cancers have seen significant progress in terms of therapy and treatment that will control and in some cases eliminate cancerous growths. Nothing is even close to working on all cancers and the things that are working - while in similar categories of approach - are vastly different from each other.

#18     Feb 25, 2020
  9. ktm

ktm

COVID-19 has a number of known mutations that have been noted already and the early PCR based tests had significant false positives. The mapping is far from done on the base virus, and the mutations are still emerging sporadically. And that's before anyone has thrown anything at it.

At best, any working vaccine will be given a percentage effectiveness number similar to the annual flu vaccine in the US.

#19     Feb 25, 2020
    d08 likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Thanks.

Just a lucky hunch. Probably should quit while I was ahead yesterday as GILD dropped today. :mad: Still profitable though. :cool:

Thank you for your coaching. I normally like to spend all my theta when I was long but will take your comments seriously since I think GILD's remdesivir is very iffy against CoVID-19.

Best regards,

#20     Feb 25, 2020